Make no mistake: Bordeaux is alive and well.

JimHow

Make no mistake: Bordeaux is alive and well.

Post by JimHow »

I pulled out some of the good stuff for the relatives who were in town for my Dad's funeral this weekend.
(Thank you to everyone for your nice notes, by the way, there was actually a good energy at his service, we are sad of course but there was also a lot of joy because of the happy life he led. If you want to see quite a video montage of the man (with numerous photos of the cross-eyed young JimHow for your enjoyment), you can see it here, try not to laugh too hard: http://www.albert-burpee.com/current-se ... -2015.html).

I had been wondering out loud whether the wines of the past two and a half decades were going to age like those great Bordeauxs of the 1980s. Boy, if these four wines were any representation, the answer is a resounding yes.

The 1995 Calon Segur to me was just perfectly aged, even if it has probably another 10 years to go. Both the 1995 and 1996 Calon Segurs are stellar, with great balance and restraint, excellent fruit matched with just the right balance of structure. Just a beautiful wine, 95 points.

The 2001 Cos d'Estournel was stunning. Still obviously young but developing secondary traits. It was very Lafite-like. Absolutely classy wine, will last for at least another 20 years. Dark and brooding, but was comfortable in the mouth, tremendous finish. 95 points.

The 2000 Lynch Bages is truly a great Lynch. Still very young but it has everything we look for in classic Lynch, the lead pencil, the cassis, yada, yada. Great, classic, big Pauillac, tannic but tannins are sweet and smooth... Dare I say, velvety... 96 points.

2005 Lascombes: Wow! Wasn't sure what to expect from this beast, I recall how oaky and extracted that 2004 was. The message from this wine: Don't fear the modern wine making! It is black in color, it has a Margaux nose that borders on spectacular. And while it is thick and ripe, it is so smooth and Margaux-like going down. Will age for a long time. I absolutely loved this beast, I'm going to pick up a few bottles of the '09 and '10 if this is what they are producing at this state these days. 95 points.

Long live Bordeaux!
Michael Malinoski

Re: Make no mistake: Bordeaux is alive and well.

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Quite fitting, well done, Jim. Sorry again to hear about your Dad.

-Michael
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

JIM,

Nice family montage. The more families you see the more similarities between the photos. These could have been from any one of our family albums and nice to see the How family growing up together.

Thanks for sharing the memories of a lifetime.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice quatuor of wines. And which one got the "extra point"?

I liked the 2001 Château Cos d'Estournel, when I brought it to a dinner in Seattle, were I joined JohnB and Le Roi de Mouton.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nice wines for your Dad's send off.

Especially good to here about the Calon Segur. I am taking delivery of a case today I picked up cheaply.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Attachments
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Roel

Post by Roel »

Cool notes. Sorry to hear about your loss Jim, but glad your dad lived a good life. My dad passed away this month (25th) ten years ago at age 66. Planning to celebrate him with a wine salute like you did.
Lascombes 2002 and 2004 were way too extracted for my taste (and I like 'lush', 'hedonistic') and I sold all, so the 2005 may mark a return to the style of the appellation?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was pretty lush and hedonistic, Roel, whether it was over the top may be a matter of taste. I agree that 2004 seemed over the top when Blanquito, his brother, a six foot tall model from Seattle, Alfred Tesseron, and I drank it in the lobby of the Ritz near Central Park a few years back, it was an oak bomb. Looking forward to your notes in celebration of your father.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

It looks like you sent him off in style, Jim. Again, we're sorry for your loss but also happy to be celebrating his life with you.

Glad to have a few '95 Calon Segur in the basement. That was a top 10 Speculator wine of some year way back when wasn't it?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your nice note from you and Gail.
As sad as we are, our family feels great joy over the wonderful life he lived.
You are right, the 1995 Calon Segur was featured in a side bar in that epic Suckling WS article on the 1995 vintage that must have been circa, what, 1997, or 1998?
And you know something? He was right about the '95 Calon Segur. It's tremendous.

That was the article in which he said: "Bordeaux this young should not be this good," and kept praising the "velvety" tannins of the 1995 Lynch and other 1995 Bordeauxs.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I had Calon Segur 1995 this week. I guess my case got off to a slow start. I had two because I thought initially one was corked: it wasn't. But mine were a bit clunky and furry! Lacking a bit of elegance...but the underlying wine was good. I still think that this - like many 1995s - could use a year or two more.