Parker interview in the Daily Telegraph

dstgolf

Re: Parker interview in the Daily Telegraph

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks Alex,

Nice interview with little said. I think the picture is worth a thousand words. 1 1/2 bottles/day along with his love of food has turned him into a fat guy,looking old and tired. Described crutches at his feet and still recovering from multilevel lumbar surgery 20 months later tells me this guy should join Jacques in Sarasota,get off the drink,diet and lose 50+ lbs, excercise a little and his crutches may disappear. At 67 things aren't going to get any easier and denial is a wonderful thing!!
Danny
Roel

Post by Roel »

The picture says more than a thousand words. Interview was OK, but drinking that much over three decades does something to you, as can be seen. Looking forward to Neal's :ugeek: contribution. Seems like a nice bloke, but his notes differ more from mine than Parker's did.
jal

Post by jal »

dstgolf wrote: Described crutches at his feet and still recovering from multilevel lumbar surgery 20 months later tells me this guy should join Jacques in Sarasota,get off the drink,diet and lose 50+ lbs, excercise a little and his crutches may disappear.
Don't give him any ideas Danny, before we know it, he'll start rating Florida beaches on the 100 pts scale. There will be talks of manipulated beaches to garner a high rating and we'll have to create an Anti-WhiteSand-Beach_Elite group :-)
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I said way back around 2003-2004 that I thought he was burnt out. I still subscribe but I hardly read it anymore.
A bottle and a half a day, seven days a week, for how many years?
That's too much.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

jal wrote:before we know it, he'll start rating Florida beaches on the 100 pts scale.
Just as long as he doesn't do it in a Speedo.

His liver levels are normal. That's awesome. But isn't it true that the liver functions completely normally, until it doesn't?

Pending response, I'm quite sanguine at half a bottle a day or less - on average, of course.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

If he says one and a half bottles a day does that include all the wine he unavoidably consumes while tasting? Even the most conscientious spitters absorb wine.

And most people lie about their true alcohol consumption anyway. I tell my mom I drink two bottles a week when I actually drink four...

Danny you say the great man should lose a few pounds, but hasn't he already lost quite a bit of weight?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Lost weight from where? Unless that's an old picture in the article then he's still got a long way to go.

No question the liver has a great capacity to resist abuse and regenerate from the abuses we throw at it. You need the liver to be about 90% gone before you see deteriorating liver functions in chronic disease but often alcoholic hepatitis or fatty change will show early rises in liver tests before cirrhotic change sets in. That's what people that get cirrhosis don't understand and they feel they can cheat occasionally. That's playing with fire because the reserve is gone and the ability to recover is significantly diminished. When he says his liver tests are normal then great but he has no idea when he will fall over the cliff!!
Danny