TN: 03 Branaire Ducru [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 03 Branaire Ducru [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

03 Branaire Ducru [St Julien] I was skimming someone else's TN when they mentioned this, which prompted me to pull one. Served a touch warm, 70F, from a half bottle. Just pop and pour. 14% abv on the label, but doesn't seem heavy at all. Medium bodied. I get some anise, warm spices on the nose. Very smooth on the palate, no raspiness nor astringency. Has that great blend of drinkability, balance, and richness that the 1990 St Julien's had. No lightening at the edges yet. Long 40 second finish, with hints of butterfingers/hazelnuts here too. I found the 03 Medocs to be so charming that I drank up many early, while waiting/hoping for firm years like 95 to round out, so am glad to still have these left. Perhaps with USD strength there is a chance to get a second crack at some of these. Although I found this vintages right banks to be hot/flabby/unbalanced and generally worsening over time, the other side of the river has been good. I think this still has lots of great years ahead of it. Solid A.
JimHow

Re: TN: 03 Branaire Ducru [St Julien]

Post by JimHow »

I'm wondering if it's time to start thinking about cracking open my case of 2002 Branaire.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I have very few 2002s from any region, but the few bdx I have are still resting.
Claret

Post by Claret »

JimHow wrote:I'm wondering if it's time to start thinking about cracking open my case of 2002 Branaire.
Wondering the same.
Glenn