TN: 00 RBs - Barde Haute, Marsau, St Colombe, Haut Chaigneu

AKR

TN: 00 RBs - Barde Haute, Marsau, St Colombe, Haut Chaigneu

Post by AKR »

00 Barde Haute (St Emilion) - Modern Styled St Emilion. Served at maybe 68F. Been in a cold cellar since release, so perhaps more primary than other bottles out there. Very good length of finish, sweet and dense. My type of wine; I grant others do not love them as much. Ought to keep aging very well. Didn't crack up at all over 3 days. A-

00 Marsau (Cote de Francs) - Over a different couple of nights, also at 68F or so, and also stored from release in very cold cellar. Found sort of by accident, as I didn't think there were any of these (and the items below) still in my seldom visited storage unit. This was surprisingly awesome, almost as good as the Barde Haute above, and although mature, it too didn't crack up over 3 days. Wonderfully long finish, notes of hazelnuts and spice, great fruit. These were inexpensive on release, and drink like complex wines 15 years later, and despite the conventional wisdom that these should be cracking up, my bottle didn't have any evidence of that. I've still got a few left, and although I'm drinking them sooner rather than later, I'm not making it a priority. A-

00 St Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) - On a different week. Never had during its youth. Also served cool and has been in a cold cellar since release. But is falling downhill. Rims are bricking, and to me, the finish is short, and ever so slightly, falling out of balance. Should not expect this to have lasted, and it was only around because of some cellar oversight/neglect. The concentration and complexity are much lower in this than compared to the above. B

00 Haut Chaigneu (Lalande de Pomerol) - Opened with no decanting, Also held from release and served cool, again on a different night than the others. This was fruity and fun upon release. Now its past its prime, and offers up simple red fruit, a smooth finish, and perhaps - more alcohol than their label suggests. Both my wife and I thought it rendered a buzz faster than the others, so maybe it had a little bit more alcohol than the others? I don't know, we could also have been drinking it faster! It was probably a B+ upon release, but now would have slid back to a B.

=========

From a few months ago....
stefan

Re: TN: 00 RBs - Barde Haute, Marsau, St Colombe, Haut Chaigneu

Post by stefan »

Where do you find very cold storage, Arv?

I also like Barde Haut. It lives for a long time. It does not with age develop the complexity of its betters, but if you forget about a bottle you need not worry that it has gone over the hill.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When should I crack open my case of 2005 Barde Haut?
AKR

Post by AKR »

My cellar in Vermont had to be heated to get to 50F. Now that I'm on the other end of the country, I use a facility, where I'm 3 stories underground. Not as cold as VT, but uncomfortably chilly, enough so that one needs to remember to take a sweater when visiting. In the central valley, people go around in shorts and Tshirts all year, so its unusual. The SO found this by asking local restaurants with good wine lists where they store theirs, and this name came up. Its also used by Corti Bros, one of the better wine stores in town, despite being a specialty grocer in reality. Paying for a place at the facility makes no economic sense, given the low market value of what I own and just as importantly, lack of appreciation potential, so I'm trying to figure out a more rational solution. Which might mean less wine being personally cellared.

I think the decision of when to pull the 05 St Em's depends sort of on how much other stuff you have that is similar. Is your stash difficult to access? Or if you have stuff that really ought to be consumed first.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Having another bottle of the 00 Marsau. It is fabulous.

Like a peak vintage La Grave a Pomerol.

I have never purchased this before or after, which is in retrospect, a mistake.

If they can do this consistently at age 15, its a real winner.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Popped another 00 Marsau, since the SO didn't want wine tonite, so the older CNDP I was planning on opening is tabled for a while. That won't keep well after being opened, while this will be ok.

And these are still doing great.

Once I finish my last bottle it will be time to add this estate to the reload list, maybe 05 or 09, or perhaps 15 futures, assuming Grand Vin will carry them again.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

JimHow wrote:When should I crack open my case of 2005 Barde Haut?
2008. A sexpot we christened Brigitte Bard Haut. She still has it when I checked last year.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:
JimHow wrote:When should I crack open my case of 2005 Barde Haut?
2008. A sexpot we christened Brigitte Bard Haut. She still has it when I checked last year.
Opened my first one last month. It did not disappoint. Will likely get even better over time, but you know I like waiting for complexity.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Seems like awinner the Chateau Marsau. I know we had it available here in the past, but not today.

In good vintage, these less known appellation produce excellet Bordeaux.

I opened another 2012 Chateau Charmes-Godard lasr nightm a blanc Côtes de Franc, and it was excellent: flowery, honey, spices, pears. A majority of semillon, made under the Nicolas Thiepont.

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

I always love reading your notes and your thinking outside the box, looking for wines more than labels.

I don’t know the Marsau, but you certainly make me want to try it. When you think how much wines like this cost…

Sainte-Colombe is a Perse wine, I believe. Not everyone likes the style...

I would have thought the 2000 Haut Chiagneau to show better… If you ever see it, please try their cuvee prestige called La Sergue. Very good, and ages better.

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

The H-C showed well in its youth. It only survived by accident.

Marsau appears to have gone up a smidge in price, and is not widely carried. When it is $30, the competition for it gets tougher -- Sociando Mallet or St Emilions can sometimes be had at that level.

I found a place last night that has a few vintages I'll probably pick up. Will be interesting to see if 2000 was a total freak show fluke, or a template.

Thanks for the color on the Thienpont wine, Nicklass. For whatever reasons I've never cottoned on to white bdx, although I've bought some more this year. I guess they are better with food than fruitier CA SB.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Had a half bottle of the 00 Marsau tonite. Still doing great. Put the other half in a 375ml for tomorrow. J wanted sparkling tonight with a light summer salad, rather than the red. I ended up picking up a 2001 since I last posted and look forward to seeing if that is good as the 2000 (critics loved the 2001 as well, so perhaps there is some hope).

I might get some of this in 2015 too.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I bought some 2005 Marsau for like $11-12. Parker said drink by 2010, but my bottles are still too young (tried last year), but it always seems to have excellent stuffing. These notes make me glad I have more still, but I'll probably wait a bit longer.