TN: 00 Roc de Cambes [Cotes du Bourg]

AKR

TN: 00 Roc de Cambes [Cotes du Bourg]

Post by AKR »

00 Roc de Cambes [Cotes du Bourg] Served cool. Bought at release. I remember having this when it was young, in a panel which included a range of classified Bordeaux, and it stuck out then. If I recall correctly, it was the groups 2nd favorite wine that night, and was a popular rich flavorful wine. Today its still all that, but I think it was better when it younger, so I'm a little bummed out that I didn't guzzle this up earlier. Decent 20-30 second finish, lightening at the edges, some nuttiness on the nose. On day 2 its still about the same, so I am not worried about it cracking up, but I can't forget how great this was in its youth. I liked the 00 Marsau better than this recently. B+

=====

From a few months ago. One left to be consumed soon enough. This was better younger.
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 00 Roc de Cambes [Cotes du Bourg]

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Good information Arv, sorry it list some of its mojo.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember having about a half dozen bottles when they first came out.
They were very nice but I think I'm not surprised they haven't sustained their appeal after 15 years.
Mine are all long gone.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

This is, by a wide margin, the most expensive wine in the Côtes de Bourg.

It is also often considered the best.

As I've said a number of times on BWE, most 2000s are ready to drink, so I'm not suprised by your notes, Arv.
Oh, I'm not talking about Mouton Rothschild.
But time and time again lately, I"ve been finding the less exalted wines firmly in their drinking window - or leaving it.

I'd love to visit Roc de Cambes one day. Apparently the vineyard is remarkably sited.
The price is just a little too high for me, however.

Best regards,
Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not sure I've had a Cotes du Bourg other than this one. I was surprised the other day to see an email offer on another wine from this AOC (that I didn't recognize) that was $11, which feels like a price from decades ago. I didn't nibble.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I've quite enjoyed a few vintages of Roc de Cambes. Fairly modern-styled, sort of a Tertre Roteboeuf, Jr. (Francois Mitjavile owns both). Seems to me not too long ago it was $30-40 a bottle, depending on the vintage, now it's gotten too expensive, imo, for what it is.

Another less expensive ($18-25) Cotes de Bourg wine I've enjoyed quite a bit, also modern-styled, is Epicurea de Chateau Martinat ('05 and '09 have been particularly good). Kind of a Roc de Cambes, Jr. Not very complex but interesting enough for a Tuesday night drop with a steak salad.

Other than that, I've had very little experience with Cotes de Bourg. Would love to explore a few more producers. Alex and/or Jeff Leve, if one were to explore 2-3 other Cotes de Bourg producers, whom would you recommend?