TN: Wonderful wines at a wonderful meal

Harry C.

TN: Wonderful wines at a wonderful meal

Post by Harry C. »

• 2012 Peter Michael Chardonnay Point Rouge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (3/30/2015)
    Pale green-yellow. Nose was a melange of fresh herbs, fruits like melon, pear, tangerine. Taste was very smooth, mouthfilling, wonderful, long lasting finish. Best Cali Chard I've had this year and likely ever. 2012 is a wonder of a year for Cali Chard. (98 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Angélus - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/30/2015)
    Deep garnet. Great Bordeaux nose of licorice, black fruits, 'asian' spices. Taste was medium weight, fills every corner of the mouth. Long finish. This is classic Bordeaux and a great argument for its elevation to Premier Cru A. Great now but no rush. (96 pts.)
  • 1997 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (3/30/2015)
    Garnet. Nose screamed Cote Rotie-all roasted meat and spices. Taste was smooth, elegant, meaty, long lasting. A great Cote Rotie but the nose slightly disappointed as I expect a more flamboyant smell. (95 pts.)
  • 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Perignon Andy Warhol Label - France, Champagne (3/30/2015)
    Pale gold with very fine bubbles. Nose was smooth, bready, vanilla,citrus. Taste as the nose. Drinking the best I've had from this bottling. (95 pts.)
  • 1976 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (3/30/2015)
    Burnished gold. Nose of a well-aged Sauternes, vanilla, tangerine, hint of pineapple. Taste was similar to the nose. A wonderful Sauternes, but did it live up to the Yquem name? Not so sure. (94 pts.)
  • 2006 Perrier-Jouët Champagne Belle Epoque - France, Champagne (3/30/2015)
    Pale yellow, fine bubbles. Nose was slightly bready, sugary, lemony. Taste was smooth, could use some more acid, good. (92 pts.)
stefan

Re: TN: Wonderful wines at a wonderful meal

Post by stefan »

That is a great selection of wines!

Harry, what do you project as the optimum drinking period for the Dom 2002? It sounds like you are very happy with it now.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Stef.,It is fine now but will easily age 5-10 due to the underlying acidity-2002 was generally good for acidity. Harry PS you and the Mrs. will be missed in Bordeaux.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, Harry, you are the first to predict that I (or Lucie) will die or have a serious medical problem in the next month and a half. I hope that you are wrong.

Today and tomorrow I can buy 2002 Dom for $150. i jumped on a similar offer for '02 Winston since Lucie prefers it to Dom, but maybe I should get some. However, I cannot get it delivered before my projected journey to That Great Taste Room in The Sky, and I am not sure that I am allowed to take it along....
Last edited by stefan on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Stef, LOL. For some reason I thought I read you and Lucie couldn't make the trip this time. Look forward to seeing you both. H. PS-Consider overnight shipping!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You nearly gave me a heart attack Harry!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jim, Tim read Harry's message before I did and immediately wrote to ask if I had croaked. That would have been very bad for BWE-15 because I have not yet transferred all the payments to Tim.

As for tasting notes: St Innocent 2008 Zenith is drinking well now. It is probably the least of Mark's 2012 Pinot Noirs, which is to say that it is very good. Despite a strong tannic core it is an easy drinking wine (I am drinking the entire bottle because Lucie is abstaining tonight and the wine goes down so easily). the fruit is good, the acidity is good, the bouquet is inviting,...---really, if you do not have some 2008 Oregon Pinot Noir from a good estate you are missing out on some great juice. Based on my previous experience with Vlossak's wines, I guess that this Zenith will improve for at least another five years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha yes and I wrote to Timmy first to see if you had croaked.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Stefan, are all of the Zenith comments relative to the 2008? I have some 11 and 12 but no earlier vintages.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, those are comments about the 2008, Glenn. Zenith is the least of Mark's single vineyard PNs IMO, but still quite good. I don't like the 2011 very much, but then I can say that about all SI 2011 PNs. The 2012 is pretty good but not at the level of the 2008. I usually drink some of Mark's PNs young and stop when they go dumb. All of the 2008s were dumb for 2-3 years. I am surprised by how quickly they have come alive again. I think that they will improve for the next 5-8 years.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:Yes, those are comments about the 2008, Glenn. Zenith is the least of Mark's single vineyard PNs IMO, but still quite good. I don't like the 2011 very much, but then I can say that about all SI 2011 PNs. The 2012 is pretty good but not at the level of the 2008. I usually drink some of Mark's PNs young and stop when they go dumb. All of the 2008s were dumb for 2-3 years. I am surprised by how quickly they have come alive again. I think that they will improve for the next 5-8 years.
I have a few bottles of 2008 Drouhin's Laurene Cuvee. If 2008 SI has come alive quickly, wondering when I can open 2008 Drouhin's Laurene.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have not had any of Drouhin's 2008s. The SIs closed down quickly and opened back up quickly. Some others never closed at all. I do think that all the good ones (and most good winemakers did well in the great 2008 vintage) I have tried will improve for years.