TN: 09 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

AKR

TN: 09 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

09 Lanessan [Haut Medoc] Served a touch cool, enjoyed over 3 days. Not a trace of oxidation at the end. Quite dark purple, a nose of crushed fennel to me. It's odd to have a Lanessan that is this smooth, so easily drunk, at so young of an age. Good long 30 second finish. A really great choice for drinking now, despite the history of aging the estate offers. Despite the youth, I don't pick up any overpowering oak, vanilla flavors. Even though it might be atypical, I have to think those who've purchased other vintages, should make an effort to include this year too. The SO was wondering why we are seemingly having more young, immature wines nowadays but I'm consciously trying to taste more that might be prospects for laying down. B+ with the potential to go higher.

=====

From a few months ago. I did end up going back and buying a case, which is rare nowadays. I'd much rather have diversity than depth in the cellar now.
JimHow

Re: TN: 09 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by JimHow »

Rare it is that this wine disappoints.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Not sure why but one local retailer carries a good spectrum of their vintages, in multiple sizes.

And other regional one, which we stop in once a quarter also had a big spectrum of their wines, albeit at consistently higher prices.

But its kind of weird to regularly see things like 1959 being sold at the same time 2003 is.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am a big fan of the 2009 Lanessan. Might be the "best ever" from there for me. Excellent value too.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to hear this is drinking well at the moment. I always thought Lanessan needed more time and was a tannic wine so haven't openned the case yet. ITNS I'll pop one before the week is out and report back.

Danny
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think this is an atypical year. I only opened to see if I wanted more.

Over the years I have gotten reluctant to buy cases of things I have not tasted, or do not know well.

Perhaps I miss out on some stuff that way, but it keeps regrets down.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

It can be difficult if not impossible to taste prior to buying in Canada. Most labels are not available or prices escalate tremendously on release. As a result purchases on futures buying cases or half cases has been the norm buying on tasting notes and pedigree. There have been few if any significant disappointments over the years and certainly the 2005s/09s/10s have been like shooting ducks in a barrel!! Thankfully enough loaded in the cellar to last me into the golden years and have not purchased any Bordeaux since 2010s. It has helped that there really hasn't been a stellar vintage since and that has tempered the fever somewhat.
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:I think this is an atypical year. I only opened to see if I wanted more..
I agree, and I think the 09 Lanessan is better for it as the ripe year plays well with this chateau's more austere style. That said, the last bottle I tried in Dec. seemed to be shutting down.