TN: 2005 Charmail

Blanquito

TN: 2005 Charmail

Post by Blanquito »

With Arv's comments in mind, I popped'n'poured a 2005 Charmail last night... Pleasing bouquet of grape soda, cedar, and slightly confected flowers. The palate is smooth and open, with a silky mouthfeel and good balance of acid-fruit-tannin-wood. There is a roundness to the midpalate which must come from all the merlot in the blend (Leve's website says it is usually 50% merlot). It is sufficiently fruity to drink on its own, but has enough grip to serve with a meal. This a mid-modern, more international style of Bordeaux, but I think more some time will bring out more Bordeaux typicity. Hard to find fault with this wine, and for $18/bottle it is world-class QPR. 90 pts.

This was an eye-opener, the first 2005 Bordeaux I've had that seemed really ready to go. It will improve for a while, and the fruit profile is still pretty primary and grapey, but it was neither shutdown nor excessively tannic. Well done.
AKR

Re: TN: 2005 Charmail

Post by AKR »

Mine weren't as primary, but perhaps I have a different definition of that. I too considered it an A- type of wine, and world class QPR.

I believe the importer on this changed, and on the run vintages pricing reflects its quality more.

I do miss the old, highly informative labels that Jeffrey Davies used to provide. They were Ridge-like in their detail.

IIRC there is more petit verdot in this estate that most others, which in the case of Pichon Lalande, seems to offend people, but works out ok here.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Parker says the 2005 Charmail is a blend of 45% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the rest Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had another bottle of the 05 Charmail last night, that a got a 24 hour double decant. Totally excellent. Whole bottle was drained between us during cooking/dinner. Ten years is probably a great point to be consuming these at. Although I've not had a ton of their vintages, I can't not think of a bad one, not even in the weaker vintages like 97.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Took another bottle of this out to dinner, popped and poured with a cold mushroom salad (?!) and an improbable halibut & tomato confit (not a good pairing).

The 05 Charmail is drinking great, even when a touch too warm, even with no breathing, even with the wrong food.

Lots of depth, great fruit, good balance.

Tonight wasn't a fair setting to explore the bouquet (only ok stems, no decanting) but perhaps that too will shine when given the moment.

I had to drive home so sent a good slug of the bottle to the bartender, who came over later to ask about the wine, as apparently they enjoyed it.

The restaurant mostly has a New World list, so the pleasures of the Cru Bourgeois elude the staff.

Not much real experience with the 05 vintage, beyond the hurry hurry events like the UGC panels, but from the tiny slivers sampled...what good cheer lies ahead for the patient.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I had a few 2000 Charmail. Really liked them. Good QPR. Not sure why I didn't buy more in subsequent vintages.
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had a bottle of this at a great French bistro in SF tonight. Corkage was on the high side ($20), given the only 'ok' stems, but the food & ambience were excellent. I had a fabulous duck frissee salad, escargot, and a lamb variant of beef bourgogne. Despite being a bistro, the entree was in a more refined, haute cuisine style. There is quasi private room at this place, which looks like it could fit 8, and I might give them a call to take their temperature about more formal wine oriented dinners.

http://www.gaminesf.com/

This Charmail continues to drink very well, fine with food, or for the impatient, half the bottle can be slurped up while waiting. It has a great blend of fruit, depth, balance, and still a light hint of grip. This is made in an unusual way (worth googling) and I find them consistently impressive. Sociando Mallet, Charmail, and St. Paul are all basically right next to each other, and their quality converges like their geography.

The SO also took this fine photo today

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... 73IJQA9qND
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I like Charmail. Unusual = high % of Petit Verdot? Their website doesn't play well with my phone.

I wish $20 corkage was on the high side around here.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Another Charmail tonight, but I think this one was lightly corked. Had a glass, poured the rest into a pitcher with some saran wrap, and will try it tomorrow.

I guess I've been lucky with this estate, not many with TCA taint. I've had way too many spoiled Faugeres unfortunately.