TN: 05 Cambon la Pelouse [Haut Medoc]

AKR

TN: 05 Cambon la Pelouse [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

05 Cambon la Pelouse [Haut Medoc] At 60F, regular format, bought on release. Good dark red/purple hue, with some sediment in the final glass, but light, not cloudy or murky. I get incense, oak, and chocolate on the nose. It's medium bodied, and feels like it fits its labels stated 13.5%. 20 second plus finish, that has hints of dusty tannins at the end. It works well with food, as well as slurping while watching Netflix. The SO keeps going for more of this; it's in her wheelhouse. We must have had this upon release, but neither of us remember it. It does drink better on day 2. I quite like it, but find it a shade behind other comparably priced cru bourgeoise like Charmail or Caronne St. Gemme in 2005. Excellent QPR, and flexible for a red wine in that it would appeal to both geeks and the masses. B+
Roel

Re: TN: 05 Cambon la Pelouse [Haut Medoc]

Post by Roel »

I love the Cru Bourgeois. Thanks for the notes. Have my cellar packed with CB's, mostly from '09 and '10..
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I also like this wine-now more so than initially. On release the overwhelming impression was of a profound gooeyness-sweetness. I christened it Cambon la Pelooze. It was an impression I got to varying degrees in a few 05s right on release. But I found that this dried/tightened up nicely with a couple of years in bottle and probably in the long run it was not a bad thing to start out that way. Guess it was just a concentration thing-concentration without overextraction of nasty tannins.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Ten years of positive development in the bottle isn't bad. I don't have distinct memories of this early on but it probably did get better.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Enjoyed the '04....price is fair also
AKR

Post by AKR »

We were making Kurobota pork chops last night and opened up a Branaire-Ducru to go with them.

Sadly, it was corked. Ugh.

So we pulled our last 2005 Cambon la Pelouse to go with it.

It's solid, maybe a hint of bitter chocolate here. Needs some air.

Just like the first note some years ago, the SO liked it and had a few glasses.

She hasn't been drinking much red in the heat.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I drank through a case of the 2000 and enjoyed it. I believe it borders or is very close to Mouton.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv, if you ever see L'Aura, the Margaux estate owned by the same people, go for it.

Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

Thanks for that.

I think its actually basically close to Margaux

That's the vineyard parcels from their estate web site.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

a nice wine for a fair tariff, though I can not remember which vintage I tasted...thinking it was '04...I remember it displaying some unique palate characteristics

I know Orlando Bobby purchased a few '10's after tasting it and I think pricing has remained fairly flat.