TN: '82 and '86 Cos d'Estournel

hautbrionlover

TN: '82 and '86 Cos d'Estournel

Post by hautbrionlover »

Cos has long been one of my favorite Bordeaux. (Per my moniker - I love Haut Brion too, but given its price, I haven't had nearly as much of it as Cos.)
Last night, for a special dinner with friends, I broke out my last bottle of the '82 Cos and one of my last of the '86, and it was quite an experience.
Both wines were simply gorgeous - fully mature, balanced, deep and with excellent mouthfeel.
I pulled the corks about 6 hours before serving, and at that point the '86 had a much bigger bouquet than the '82, so I didn't know what to expect. We double decanted 1 to 1 1/2 hours before serving, and the aeration seemed to help both of them.
I am always concerned that when I serve two or more excellent bottles side-by-side, one or more will suffer by comparison, but this didn't happen last night. Both wines were in their glory.
I have had the '86 a number of times, but this was its best showing yet. The bouquet was seductive, suggesting beautfully ripe plum and cassis. The flavors were consistent; the slight astringency which was still showing in my previous bottle a few years ago was now resolved. It was full-bodied, a little velvety, and had a lovely, soft-but-lingering finish.
I cannot remember the last time I had the '82, but I have been eyeing this last bottle in my cellar for some time and it did not disappoint. The nose opened up after the double decant, showing similar notes to the '86, but perhaps just a little more subdued. In the mouth, the wine was glorious - everything that one hopes for when opening an old Bordeaux. Still deep red, with some bricking at the rim. A near-perfect Cos, so elegant, balanced and, for lack of a better term, simply delicious! The fruit had not dried out, there was no unresolved tannin, the flavors and texture were fantastic. I wish I had more of this in my cellar.
Claret

Re: TN: '82 and '86 Cos d'Estournel

Post by Claret »

Cos is one of my faves too. The 82 is great. I only have a couple of 95's left.
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks, I have a few 86s.

Cos over a 15 year peroid (~1981-1996) is one of my favorites too. The 82, 85, 86, 88, 90 and 95 are each terrific.

I've not had the '89, but I recently bought a bottle on Comte de Flaneur's strong endorsement.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Patrick, 1993, which was not very good for a long time, now is very good. 1996 will, I think, be excellent in a few more years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yum, I was so impressed with that young 2001 Cos I had recently.
It was so Lafite-like.
I'm actually tempted to buy a bottle of the 2010 for $250.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Why $250? You can get it for as low as $195 according to wine-searcher.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok I'll check.
I was planning on placing a large order from MacArthurs, that's what it's going for there.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Thanks for bringing back those memories. It's been a while since I've had any from that era.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The 1989 was the proverbial ugly duckling for a long time...now it is a beautiful swan.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I'm a big Cos fan, as well. 1982 is fantastic, but I'd happily take 1986, 1989, 1996 and a bunch of others I've been fortunate enough to drink. The 2001 for some time had me wondering when it would become approachable (if ever), but it sounds like it may soon join the ranks...

Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2001 has a long life ahead of it, Michael, but I think it is a stellar effort.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:The 1989 was the proverbial ugly duckling for a long time...now it is a beautiful swan.
Does the '89 need a decant or slow-o, Ian? I plan to open my bottle soon.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Patrick

I never got my head around slow-o

I always err towards pop and pour (at a lowish temperature of course), less asymmetric downside risk.

The one four and a half yeas ago in NYC - can you believe that? my how time flies - really shone...I think outshone Montrose or at least kept up - and one I had in the last couple of years did not require a long decant. Good luck, Blanquito, and report back.