Chateau Langoa Barton 2004 and two Rhones

Comte Flaneur

Chateau Langoa Barton 2004 and two Rhones

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Langoa Barton 2004

Very bright, very clean, very correct, reasonable intensity of ripe fruit overlaid with a pleasing minerality, and hints of cedar and smoke. This has been drinking very well for some time. It probably lacks the cerebral complexity and class of the Leoville Barton 2004, but is a very pleasant wine indeed. 

On Saturday night we used this as a foil for two other 2004s from the Northern Rhone...we wanted something that would not steal the limelight and it worked perfectly. 

The Rhones were a Marc Sorrel Hermitage rouge and a Chevalier De Sterimberg Blanc. The Sterimberg was just coming out from the other side, resurrecting itself from an apparent deathly experience. It was waxy, honeyed, with acacia and hints of oxidative sweetness in a marvellous way. The Sorrel was simply a brilliant bottle of Hermitage, with beguiling notes of smokey bacon and freshly tilled earth and farmyard. 

The Langoa was by no means embarrassed by these two stars from the Rhone. 

AKR

Re: Chateau Langoa Barton 2004 and two Rhones

Post by AKR »

I don't think I would have had the cerebral complexity and class to partake :)

Sounds like Sorrel was solid? I just don't 'get' the way that AOC tastes.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Thank you for the note, very helpful. I have a few of the '04 Langoas stashed away, and am glad to hear it is drinking well. I wonder how it will drink in 10 years' time when my kids are old enough to enjoy some birth year wines, though?

Never even heard of the Sterimberg--an interesting one to look out for. We had some excellent Hermitage blancs Saturday night, and I will probably be on the lookout for some other bottlings!

Michael
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

AKR wrote:I don't think I would have had the cerebral complexity and class to partake :)

Sounds like Sorrel was solid? I just don't 'get' the way that AOC tastes.
No no Arv I am sure you are one of the most cerebrally complex - not to mention erudite - geezers on the forum...

I just got back from a Ducru Beaucaillou tasting with Bruno Borie, nice chap. However I came away scratching my head. I think slightly more Hollywood than Descartes, just my initial impressions. Not bad wines mind, but possibly an inflection point (in philosophical orientation) after 2003. But I think based on what I have tried Leoville Barton and Pichon Baron have vaulted Ducru. More when I can gather my notes.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

But I think based on what I have tried Leoville Barton and Pichon Baron have vaulted Ducru.
Wow! That's a bold statement!
Not that I mind. I love Leoville Barton.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Do you mean they have surpassed D-B in the context of a casual taster, or even a wine enthusiast? Sometimes I think bigger, louder wines when put into panels can overshadow wines that are just as good, but not the same body.

It would be like stacking a 15% abv effort next to 12.5% abv bottle. my gut tells me the heavier, more alcoholic wine will win over most people.

Something like pichon baron which seems to have amped up their wines after maybe 96 i could totally see that.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The Langoa showed very well at a 2008 release event, but then so did the L. Barton.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

AKR wrote:Do you mean they have surpassed D-B in the context of a casual taster, or even a wine enthusiast?
I'm sure the Comte is talking in the context of the wine enthusiast at a minimum.

I keep trying to like Ducru-B at the "great growth" level and am never convinced (other than the '59 and '61 which are a François-long-time ago.) I think all three Leovilles are a better choice for my cellar.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Arv I don't think Pichon Baron has 'amped up' its wines anymore than anyone else and certainly Leoville, Barton cannot be accused of such. However there is a case for saying that Poyferre has.

What impressed me most about the Barons that Christian Seeley presented here two and a half years ago was the quality of the lesser vintages like 2001, 02 and 08.

Likewise for Leoville Barton: 01, 02, 04 and 08 are superb wines. I think if you had a three way comparison of Ducru, Leoville Barton and the Baron in 01, 02, 04, 06 and 08, Ducru would be left trailing a distant third.
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Has there ever been a truly great vintage of Ducru?

I have never tried the 1953, 1959 nor 1961, but the following vintages are very good to outstanding: 1970, 1975, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986 (1988 and 1990 can be good), 1995, 1996 and 1999. I have very high hopes for the 2000 (which I own) and the 2005 and 2010 (which I don't). I heard 1966 and 1967 can be very good too.