1990 Haut Marbuzet

RDD

1990 Haut Marbuzet

Post by RDD »

Well this was flamboyant in its youth.
And conventional wisdom states it should be over the hill.
Well it may not have any baby fat left but has a delicious core of bright fruit and than a slightly coarse mineral finish I like in St Estephe. I'm not great with words but the finish is not suave like St Julien or Puaillac.
I have steak a few time a yeas and when I do I spend the money and get a nice dry aged 1 1/4" Porter House. Susan loves filet. I love strip. Count 'em . Two steaks in one. A nice baked potato with chive butter and a fresh salad from the garden with a homemade blue cheese dressing.
All simple elements that combined to make one realize a simple life is pretty good.

92 points.
AKR

Re: 1990 Haut Marbuzet

Post by AKR »

Hey great to hear from you. I've never had any luck with bottles of this 1990.

All the bottles acquired in secondary markets, well after release, didn't show as well as the wine's reputation.

But none of our little gaggle of guzzlers acquired any upon release :(

The 2003 was solid, and based on the vintage characteristics (hot!) i'd hoped it would have been like the 1990, but that too, while good, wasn't awesome.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Fine note in the 1990 Haut Marbuzet. Score dmy last one 91-92 too, but that was years ago. Have one bottle left for a special occasion. Indeed, the critic(s) was/were wrong on the longevity and quality of this wine..
johnz

Post by johnz »

I've had 2 or 3 of the '90 Haut Marbuzet, but finished the one last ten years ago or more. I thought it was fully mature then, and am surprised it's still good.

--Gary
stefan

Post by stefan »

I am not surprised that this wine is still good.

Last night Lucie and drank 2000 Meyney, another St Estephe Cru Bourgeois that, however, lacks the exceptionnel.
I bought two cases on futures, drank one bottle early, and returned the second case to my wine merchant friend, who said he was happy to put them on the Bordeaux shelf in his store. It was quite thin and I did not expect the wine to develop into something like the wonderful 1989 or very good 1995. We drank a few more from the opened case and my prediction seemed correct. However, now this wine has a lovely bouquet, a solid core of cassis infused fruit, and good balance. The tannins are still very strong, but the fruit holds up well against them. The Meyney is indeed a bit thin for a St Estephe, but the wine went well with both lamb chops and duck breast.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I remember my solo bottle of 89 Haut-Marbuzet being very pleasant last summer. Thanks Bluesman!