Chateau Berliquet (St-Emilion) 2001

Comte Flaneur

Chateau Berliquet (St-Emilion) 2001

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This wine may be a dark horse worth putting a bet on. Awkward in its youth like a gawky adolescent with a comb forward hairstyle wearing a suit and tie for the first time. Now It is vibrant and rich and over the last few years has gained in complexity to the point where it has truffles and soil overlaying rich plummy, spicey fruit. It has soft and polished tannins. It is modern but well balanced, not overwrought. Unfortunately this was bottle number 12. I wish I had been more parsimonious in ripping through this case. 
AKR

Re: Chateau Berliquet (St-Emilion) 2001

Post by AKR »

Well, sometimes its better to have drunk them too soon than too late.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Ian, somehow I have the feeling that you have enough wine not to have to worry about finishing your '01 Berliquet. I do know the feeling, though. I tend to hold onto that last bottle, hating to let an old friend go. But as I have gotten older and seen so many friends and even students pass on, I have become less reluctant to drink the last one.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I thought the 2009 Berliquet was a solid wine and scored it over 90 points each of the three times I had it. I intend to buy a few more bottles.