2008 Gloria

Rudi Finkler

2008 Gloria

Post by Rudi Finkler »

This undoubtedly is one of the finest 2008 I had in recent times. An exceptionally well-balanced wine, almost perfect in every respect. Complex, fascinating nose, opulent and refined on the palate, and an everlasting super-elegant finish. No signs of modern jammy fruit or alcoholic heat. I wish I had more of this nectar in my cellar...
AlexR

Re: 2008 Gloria

Post by AlexR »

Hi Rudi,

I just love Gloria and especially St. Pierre in recent years.

Furtherore, I find the wines reach their peak in the mid rather than the long term.

These are sensual, fruity, uncomplicated wines.

All the best,
Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2009 and 2010 Glorias are very impressive, a real step up from older stuff I've had from there. Sounds like the 2008 is equally good, thanks for the note.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, I like the older Glorias; sensual, fruity, and complicated (in Alex's words). I do put St. Pierre in a higher class, though; it is more structured and worthy of thought in my experience.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

At the Union des Grands Crus en primeur tastings of the 2009 vintage, I thought that Saint-Pierre was one of the finest châteaux in the Pauillac and St. Julien appellations.

I bought a couple of bottles for the cellar.

In fact, if you can find it for a good price, you might consider some "backfilling".

Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

My wife loves Gloria and we drank a lot of it when I was younger.

I think its because the label is so charming!

BTW, the 82 is still hanging in there. We drank a bottle of that in the last year or so. That was an accident, and was not planned to be cellared.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

The more Red Bordeaux I drink from 2008, the more I become a fan of this vintage.
Unobtrusive, delicate, and elegant wines, occasionally with a tolerable hint of modern madness... at least what I have drunk in recent months.... an opulent Chateau Laroque, a sophisticated Cadet-Piola, a delicious, "uncomplicated" Cantemerle, a superb La Fleur de Gay, and a charming Haut-Batailley.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've enjoyed older Glorias a lot (never had the 82), I just think the 09 and 10 are even better (without being too much).
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AlexR wrote:At the Union des Grands Crus en primeur tastings of the 2009 vintage, I thought that Saint-Pierre was one of the finest châteaux in the Pauillac and St. Julien appellations.

I bought a couple of bottles for the cellar.

In fact, if you can find it for a good price, you might consider some "backfilling".

Alex
Got few bottles of 09 Gloria. Also, at 2010 UGC tasting, I was very impressed with 2010 St Pierre, and grabbed few bottles of the same. I did not buy 09 version of st pierre as I was heavy onto other St Juliens like GL and Barton. IMHO, 2010 edges out 2009 by a slight margin...
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

got a couple 09 as well-good to read all the positive comments.