2003 Clos du Marquis

dstgolf

2003 Clos du Marquis

Post by dstgolf »

This has been a go to table wine in our house for two decades now. Friends that like their wines with little knowledge of Bordeaux have usually cut their teeth at our place on some vintage of this dependable wine.

The 2003 didn't disappoint though unfortunately paired with mediocre pizza in Phoenix last week out of terrible glasses but still showed what it could under less than optimal circumstances. Youthful dark fruit with tannins still in early stage of evolution. Needs food at this time but lovely mineral and cedar notes. Still love this wine and with reasonable length. Looking forward to drinking this in Reidl stems to catch the difference. Still not used to drinking from some of the crappy glasses when away from home. I'm sold that a good stem only adds to the enjoyment of a good wine and certainly remains a much under reported variable. I have yet to be disappointed by LLCs second cousin(not second wine) and looking forward to the next sampling.
Danny
AKR

Re: 2003 Clos du Marquis

Post by AKR »

I've never had this vintage of CdM. I know its a sad repetitive story, but as the prices on this escalated (even if warranted by the fact that it was not officially the secondary vats of LLC) it seemed like there was usually a similar peer that was better.

Some of the back vintages of LLC, in the relative value context of how expensive great growths are, are not so crazy. Stuff like the 90 or 86 LLC never went up as much as recent releases, and it seems to me that those are rarer/scarcer as well. The chateau periodically releases some as well, so provenance can be ok.