TN: Tertre Roteboeuf 1998

Comte Flaneur

TN: Tertre Roteboeuf 1998

Post by Comte Flaneur »

First bottle from a six case, recently taken out of storage. Spectacular out of the gate. It has cassis, chocolate, truffle, exotic mushrooms, cedar and graphite. Tannins are still lurking but nicely resolved, giving the wine a bit of grip. It is not too alcoholic, nor extracted, nor over the top. Absolutely fabulous and delicious. 96
JimHow

Re: TN: Tertre Roteboeuf 1998

Post by JimHow »

Agreed. The one bottle I had was stellar.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow smoking!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

My greatest disappointment was not buying the 96 when put on sale even though I loved it on tasting and then followed this a few years later also passing on the 98. Both of these wines I've had and were spectacular! Thanks for the memories.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Danny

I drank through a half case of 1996...supposedly a bit of a so-so vintage on the right bank - they were fabulous.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Danny

I drank through a half case of 1996...supposedly a bit of a so-so vintage on the right bank - they were fabulous.
I'm glad someone liked them. A couple years ago I purged my cellar of stuff like 96 right banks etc. Nearly all 94's, that were still there.

I never had any luck with the 96 right banks.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Sometimes you can never tell. Many ugly ducklings in my life and possibly the most recent is 2005 Domaine de l'A. Not bad 3-5 years ago showing promise and recently last 2 bottles difficult to drink and thinking wow what a waste. Maybe with time they'll come around.

No question the 96 Tertre was stellar a few years back and I'm sorry that I didn't jump when I had the opportunity.Ratings at the time were questionable and I believed what was written rather than what I had tasted prior to the buying opportunity.My loss and sounds like yours as well Arv.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

I think it best to drink '96 right bank wines blind. Many are very good, but I have had none that were true, probably because Merlot did so poorly in '96.