TN: 1989 Château Lynch-Bages (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

DavidG

TN: 1989 Château Lynch-Bages (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by DavidG »

A personal favorite and in one respect a BWE founding partner, we splurged for this bottle while taking a break at the beach.
  • 1989 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Purchased off the list of our favorite secret seaside joint. They've raised the price but still a relative bargain for $265 on a restaurant list. This was purchased on release and stored in a temp controlled cellar since. Fill still into the neck. Cork wet about 1/2 way up.

Pop 'n pour. Dark red core, minimal lightening at rim, no bricking. Effusive nose of cassis, tar, fresh earth and cigar box immediately erupt from the glass. Full body, lush, dense and concentrated with ripe fruit mixed with great complexity, beautiful balance and lingering long finish. Still has many years ahead. Outstanding-extraordinary.
AKR

Re: TN: 1989 Château Lynch-Bages (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Post by AKR »

Pretty sweet.

One of the better restaurants in town, once a year on around your birthday which they verify with ID, lets you get 1 bottle off their list, for half off. IIRC you get a +/- 2 week window or something.

In the past I've only used it to get bubbly, which basically gets it down to about retail levels. Last time we were there I think we guzzled a Pierre Gimonnet.

But I was thinking maybe next time around to get a flashier bottle of something, especially something that I've never had, or would be unlikely to trip over.

Some of these restaurants that don't update their wine lists can be good hunting grounds for aged wine.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Sweet David. Certainly another BWE legend and story to go with it. Always great to sample some treasures off a neglected wine list. Last Fall we were lucky to pull the 96 Lynch out of the local high end restaurant who were thinning their cellar clearing stuff out at 1/2 price. $190 still steep but not bad for a restaurant.

You're talking beach??!! an email came in from local ski hill that today is the last day for the season.Starting to feel like Spring here but beaches in the area still covered with ice in areas!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

I really like bargain luxury goods.

Here the water is still too cold to enter. We have broken 80 a couple of days, but then the temperature plummets.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Had the good '88 never the '89....out of my price point unfortunately
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have drunk the 1989 Lynch Bages well over 100 times.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

They're raised the price on the '89 Lynch but still a bargain. Lots of other good things on the list at decades-old pricing.

Stefan - it was pretty nice yesterday, around 70 and sunny, but sill way too cold for going in the ocean, not that that stopped some of the young and restless. We're just relaxing and getting the condo ready for rental season.

Marc - the '88 Lynch is more than good in my book, even if not at the level of the '89.
stefan

Post by stefan »

David, I also would not be able to resist going broke buying such bargains.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

100x's.....WOW

I need more wealthy friends... If we ever meet please bring one...pretty please
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have 2.5 bottles left, robert goulet, one of which was given to me by BWE.
I too cannot afford it any more, it consistently exceeds $300 at auction.
AKR

Post by AKR »

DavidG wrote:They're raised the price on the '89 Lynch but still a bargain. Lots of other good things on the list at decades-old pricing.

Stefan - it was pretty nice yesterday, around 70 and sunny, but sill way too cold for going in the ocean, not that that stopped some of the young and restless. We're just relaxing and getting the condo ready for rental season.

Marc - the '88 Lynch is more than good in my book, even if not at the level of the '89.
It seems like Bordeaux and Cabernet are more likely to have their prices adjusted to reflect market values in restaurants, while Rhones/Tuscans and other stuff that is less well known can get more 'mispriced'. There is a place in town here which still has 98 Southern Rhones on their list for $80 or so. I'd actually go there and drink some up, except that I already drank up most of their names out of my own cellar already, years ago.

Their bdx offerings are mostly off vintages at luxe pricing.