2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin

JimHow

2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin

Post by JimHow »

It is amazing how youthful these 2005 village Burgundies are at the 10 year mark.
I predicted these 2005 village Burgundies were going to be 40-50 year wines and the bigger stars would last 75-100.
I see nothing in my recent revisiting of these wines that changes my mind.
These wines are amazing efforts.
2005 Burgundy is one of the greatest vintages from any wine region, right up there with 1996L and 1998R Bordeaux, truly a vintage of BWE Wine of the Year protest vote status.
dstgolf

Re: 2005 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin

Post by dstgolf »

Agree 100% on the 2005 Burg vintage. Made me a convert and turned my wife into a Burgundy believer who is pretty particular. Unfortunately the 6 cases of mixed Burgs bought on release in 05 were probably drunk too early with only 2 cases of grand cru with a few 1 cru left. Hard to drink these last soldiers knowing the dwindling ranks and somewhat concerned about again drinking them too young.

Swore that I wouldn't buy anything in any quantity again but had ordered 12 cases of 2012 Burgs from Quebec offering knowing that quantities were limited but disappointed only allotted 5.5 cases. C'est la vie but saved me a few thousand dollars and not that I need more wine!! Still looking for more of that Burg magic but more money to spend on travel now even though feeling a little deprived being shut out of some of the allocations that came up dry on.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes true that the 2005 red Bourgogne are amazing. Unfortunately, not a lot of bottle left here...

The 2008 Mongeard-Mugneret Fixin is available here.

And Dstgolf, this is why I only had 2 bottles of 2012 Bourgogne... You had "only" 5.5 cases...

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Unfortunately in Burgundy the vintage of a lifetime actually may occur only once in a lifetime (sometimes even less often) and does not occur several times a decade like in Bordeaux, Tuscany, the Rhone, etc. All the more reason to cherish them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just ordered 3 more bottles from some place out of Oregon I've never heard of, we'll see how it goes.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Did you order some OR PN at the same time, Jim?

I have hardly touched my '05 Burgs, but the ones I have drunk have been very good. Even the 1er Crus mostly need more time.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Learned a long time ago with these offerings that you order 2-4xs what you really want and see what you come up with. You can always cancel items but you can't get more! 2005 offering I remember picking through the offering and leaving many wanted bottles unordered initially because I thought 10 cases was getting too steep both pricewise and numbers but when I only got 5 cases then I was upset that I should have ordered more and certainly when I recognized after the fact how great the wines have been then I certainly should have ordered way more. In this offering virtually all of the houses that I ordered 6 bottles each I was shut out completely and I think the magic # was 2-4 since they were either filled or cut in half. 65 bottles out of 134 ordered may seem like a lot but where in a free market do you see rationing like this.....Russia?...OH I said free market!
Danny