2014 Sauternes

AKR

2014 Sauternes

Post by AKR »

Neil Martin has put out his report, and a very quick skim suggests that the 2014 Sauternes are quite good.

Open question of course whether one needs to pay for them now, when back vintages (from good years) are still readily available.

Many old reliable QPRs in the region seem to be on the downswing according to him as newer, more energetic vignerons take their place.

Filhot is one example of that problem.

Rieussec of course just continues to crank it.
AKR

Re: 2014 Sauternes

Post by AKR »

Just out of curiosity, did anyone buy EP in these?

It seems like there is a raft of good years already on the shelves, obviating the need to commit before tasting them.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Arv,

I have never bought Sauternes en primeur in my life.

In fact, historically, the great wines of the appellation didn't even sell en primeur (Yquem only started in 2005).

As you have pointed out, it is not difficult to find older vintages at very competitive prices.

So, if you are going to buy futures, it might make more sense to wait until spring 2016 and consider the 2015 vintage.
From what I hear, this should be superior to 2014.

All the best,
Alex
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex, you're not correct.

Climens, Sudiraut, Coutet, La Tour Blanche. Lafaurie Peyraguey and several others have been offered EP since 2001 vintage here in DK.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've been buying Sauternes EP occasionally since the mid 90's, but generally because I wanted small formats.

It never made any sense financially since if anything the wines seem to stay flat or go down in price.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Like port, most Sauternes don't seem to appreciate in price (some 2001 stickies being the exception). I keep backfilling on select Sauternes from 86, 88, 89 and 90, often for close to current release prices. So unless one prefers young Sauternes or vintage port (and some genuinely do), I concur with others about EP.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have not been impressed with the condition of older Sauternes I've purchased as backfills. Even from reputable sources, color and palate are noticeably more advanced than bottles stored in my cellar since release.

While I prefer to get them in my cellar as soon as they are released, I rarely buy Sauternes as futures. I did buy a few of the 2014 Doisy Daene because it seemed like a good deal and at Total Wine you only have to pay half up front for futures.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Izak,

I stand by my statement, which is only incorrect if seen from a very short-term perspective.
I worked in the Bordeaux wine trade from the late 70s to the early 90s.
I don't remember any Sauternes château selling en primeur at that time.
Ten or fifteen years is recent in the history of the great growths!
(perhaps you missed my use of the word "historically").
Neither did I say that Yquem was the first the sell en primeur.
Sheesh....

Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

As english is my second language, and to make sure I understand the used of Alex of "historically", i'll give another example:

Historically, JimHow has been a fan of Chateau Lynch Bages.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:I have not been impressed with the condition of older Sauternes I've purchased as backfills. Even from reputable sources, color and palate are noticeably more advanced than bottles stored in my cellar since release.

While I prefer to get them in my cellar as soon as they are released, I rarely buy Sauternes as futures. I did buy a few of the 2014 Doisy Daene because it seemed like a good deal and at Total Wine you only have to pay half up front for futures.
I've had very good luck with mature Sauternes purchased on WineBid, perhaps because one can see the color, fill, etc. in the high-res photos.