Is Jeff Leve the new He Who Shall Remain Nameless?

JimHow

Is Jeff Leve the new He Who Shall Remain Nameless?

Post by JimHow »

Was checking out some of Jeff Leve's notes on the 2014 vintage.
I still have a lot more to go.
But what I've read so far....
Spectacular!
Now that He Who Shall Remain Nameless has retired.
And we've already had greatbordeauxfreak express concerns about Neil Martin's inaugural report... I personally have not gotten my Advocate yet in the mail here in the hinterlands of Maine.
Is there another American out there who has that 100 point score enthusiasm that is so Parker, so American?
I haven't read Tanzer in a long time, he's American, not sure he's ever had it.
Wine Spectator, of course, is illegitimate. I mean, at least when they had Jimmy Suckling we had a little pizzaz, a little excitement.
Now we're left with the Brits and their 20 point and *** and ***1/2 scales, etc.
Myself, I think there's no one closer to the "He Who Shall Remain Nameless Style" than Jeffrey Leve.
Now, I'm not necessarily saying that's a 100% good thing.
As we all know, The Parker Man had his faults.
But that blind love of Bordeaux from an American who employs that ever so American 100 pojnt scale enthusiasm...
Is there anyone else out there other than Mr. J. Leve Esquire?
Will there be a Martin-ization of Bordeaux in the next 10-20 years, or a Leve-ization?
Time will tell!
94-95 points he rates the 2014 Lafite Rothschild, and makes note of its (modest) 12.7% alcohol level.
As He once said Himself about the 1996 Leoville Las Cases: Wow! Wow! Wow!
Comte Flaneur

Re: Is Jeff Leve the new He Who Shall Remain Nameless?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

You have to give him credit for putting his cojones on the line by publishing his notes early ahead of the big boys, for going out on a limb and for taking a strong view on the 2014 Bordeaux vintage. For example he says this is a vintage for people who like classically styled Bordeaux. From a critic who, like Parker, is known to like fruit bombs. I find that to be a remarkable revelation. They say that 1982 was the vintage that made Robert Parker's reputation. I agree BD, this could be the vintage that confirmed Jeff's reputation, which propels him in to the annals of the top echelon of critics.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I took a closer look on Neal's TNs this morning and maybe I did too much in yesterday's post out of disagreement.
It's first 100% primeur from Neal's side, so it can only be better. We will see.
keith prothero

Post by keith prothero »

I ,like others here no doubt,am lucky to be able to describe both Jeff and Neal as good friends. Both have superb palates,with Jeff far more Bordeaux centric than Neal who now of course covers Burgundy and South Africa,in addition to Bordeaux.
The power of WA,gives Neal more influence I guess,but there is no doubt that Jeff has a big following,and I certainly look at both individuals notes,before making purchase decisions.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would love to read Neal's impressions on the 2014s, but I guess to do that I would have to subscribe to the WA.

I would place Neal like Jeff as an expert on Bordeaux more than any other region. After all he wrote a book on Pomerol. And Jeff is an authority on Rhones too, Norf n Saff.
keith prothero

Post by keith prothero »

yes well after all I published his book :D Also respect The Wine Doctor and a number of others. Mind you,I am not the slightest bit interested in buying 2014 or indeed any vintage after 2005
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've long enjoyed Jeff's enthusiastic tell-it-like-it-is reviews. His site has just gone from strength to strength over the years. He's definitely got a more Parkeresque than an AFWE palate, but he's his own man. Plus he's a genuinely nice guy in person and a generous host. Another trait he shares with Bob Parker.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I agree and trust his palate. We need to get him to a BWE event.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Have enjoyed Jeff Leve banter on this site over the years and have watched his site grow. His passion and enthusiasm has had me hooked for a number of years and is one of my go to sites for Spring reviews of Bordeaux. Have not paid much attention to Parker recently as his palate seems to have diverged from mine. I think Jeff's may also prefer the modern vs classic style as well however seems to leave it open for you to decide more so than Parker has done in recent years. I say keep up the good work Jeff and who knows where/when the next coronation will take place.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

If Jeff gave Pavie, Angelus, Péby Faugeres and Smith Haut Laffitte high ratings, and to Gruaud Larose, du Tertre, Talbot and Cos Labory lower ratings, the answer is yes.

Nic