TN: 03 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

AKR

TN: 03 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

03 Lanessan [Haut Medoc] From a split, purchased recently*, and chilled for a few min the freezer. Mostly mature red coloration, lightening at the edges. 13% abv and medium bodied, typical sediment although there are some lighter colored crystals. Chewy texture. The acidity is ok here -- enough to keep everything in line. That's surprising to me. Some cedar on the nose. The fruit tastes more red to me, about 20 seconds in length; the finish turns drying near the end. I like it, and size is handy, but I don't particularly need more. It's at a good spot to enjoy now. I'll give it a B, maybe better, especially if you favor this year/region.

* http://www.klwines.com/p/i?s=14D0C44C6C41&i=1145442 May not make sense to ship low priced bottles, but if you're local, it's a fair deal.
Blanquito

Re: TN: 03 Lanessan [Haut Medoc]

Post by Blanquito »

I liked this a lot on release when it was $13 per 750ml, seemed better balanced than the average 2003.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I found a full size bottle of this among my clutter that I must have purchased EP, and decanted it last night while we went out for a bowl of pho. The bigger bottle shows a little better than the split. Balanced, but is leaning more toward the zesty/red side of fruit here. Last bottle, and I think these can/should be consumed now. Doesn't show any roasty/weird notes to me, unlike close by estates like St Pierre.

The nose really screams earthy Bordeaux. Good example to show someone the difference between Napa/Sonoma valleys vs. the Gironde/Dordogne river valleys.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Man, that 03 St Pierre really has/had a weird bouquet.