2003 Sociando

robertgoulet

2003 Sociando

Post by robertgoulet »

High toned fruit, hint of acetone, tart acid, fairly ripe fruit, red fruit driven, cedar, fresh cut green tobacco and leather.....this wine has great character, loving this right here....almost feels like I am drinking a little cab franc action from Loire

This feels like it's at peak and I do not see any improvement...this is offering lots if real bordeaux pleasure

Pop one Jim, come back from the dark side :mrgreen:
DavidG

Re: 2003 Sociando

Post by DavidG »

I can see the Sociando green/Loire Cab Franc connection.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Just had the 03 Sociando last Sat night, I thought it was a really nice wine, too.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You're killing me robert goulet.
Michael do you agree that it is ready to drink and won't get better?
'Cause once I crack open a case it's all over.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

All I can see is the fruit fading out a bit...but all the rustic pleasure is singing
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I agree it's ready to drink. We didn't decant or slow-ox or anything and it was no problem. I do think it will improve marginally, though.

-Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What happened to Bordeaux that aged 20+ years?
Does it not exist anymore?
AKR

Post by AKR »

I visited my storage site today, and those are literally on the bottom of a stack.

Probably should dig some out to try, but I was jammed for time.

Will have to be another day.

S-M rocks.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I'm drinking the 03 S-M tonight from 375... Lovely stuff, quite expressive, but for my tastes this has plenty left in the tank. It won't be the longest lived S-M by any means, but there's lots of gritty tannin to resolve and I see upside. So it comes down to how you like your claret, and I prefer my mine longer in the tooth.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Not in the absurd hot vintage 2003 was ... Athough I do believe that left bank quality wines will live for years to come. Still haven't popped my first 2003 Léoville-Poyferré.. (but I must admit I am down to my last 2003 Langrange after two cases full of steady pleasure.. Always scoring around 91 points) :mrgreen:
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Drank the 1996 this weekend (long weekend here in the UK). It started off very promising, spectacular. Then it got really high toned and tetchy. That was the last bottle out of the first case. Two more to go. A wine I have never got along with. I think it hasn't settled down yet.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Drank the 1996 this weekend (long weekend here in the UK). It started off very promising, spectacular. Then it got really high toned and tetchy. That was the last bottle out of the first case. Two more to go. A wine I have never got along with. I think it hasn't settled down yet.
I have had the 96 Sociando seven or eight times, and it has been a moving target. I was impressed by that bottle we had at Jacques pool party in 2010, for me it held its own in some serious company... but a year earlier at an NYC tasting it came across as fairly light and weedy.

Overall, I am waiting on my remaining stash of bigger 1996 Left Bankers (e.g. GPL, L. Barton, Cos, Pichon Lalande, Lagrange) as I think they still need more time (though not much) to really shine. The 1996 Lafon Rochet is an exception that proves the rule-- the 96 Lafon Rochet was hard and pretty charmless for years (despite a lovely nose), but by 2011 it blossomed and its inner sweetness and complexity came out. I think/hope Sociando is on this trajectory.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Don't forget that warm vintages like 2003 normally favorise wines from the Northern Médoc. Montrose is just impressive In 2003, and Sociando-Mallet is neighbour of St-Estèphe.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Drank the 1996 this weekend (long weekend here in the UK). It started off very promising, spectacular. Then it got really high toned and tetchy. That was the last bottle out of the first case. Two more to go. A wine I have never got along with. I think it hasn't settled down yet.
I've had a few in the last year, I thought they were in great form. Still had a few left, but actually moved them from the house to storage since these are keeping well, and I have other stuff I'm more skeptical about that are getting bumped in the drinking queue.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Blanquito wrote:Overall, I am waiting on my remaining stash of bigger 1996 Left Bankers (e.g. GPL, L. Barton, Cos, Pichon Lalande, Lagrange) as I think they still need more time (though not much) to really shine. The 1996 Lafon Rochet is an exception that proves the rule-- the 96 Lafon Rochet was hard and pretty charmless for years (despite a lovely nose), but by 2011 it blossomed and its inner sweetness and complexity came out. I think/hope Sociando is on this trajectory.
I agree that most upper end 1996's are still not showing what they will with more time, and some are down right angry today. The 1996 Pape Clement is another exception -- it is terrific right now.

Gary Rust
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I agree Gary...Pape being a notable exception...I tried a1996 Batailley tonight and it is still an angry young man after all these years. I tried the 2005 alongside it and the pre-adolescent had much better table manners and outshone its uncouth elder brother. Both should be fine, as the 1996 smoothes out and mellows with age.

I am going to a 1996 left tasting tomorrow night with a good line up. No first growths but many of the usual suspects.

I also tried three vintages of D'Armailhac tonight: the 1989, the 2001 and the 2004. The 1989 was mediocre in the context of the vintage and fruit deficient. The 2001 wasn't much better, while the 2004 really shone. Caveat: all wines including the Batailleys were drank out of an enomatic machine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can't recall all of the 2003s we had at dinner that one night in NYC -- I recall Leoville Barton, Sociando Mallet, Duhart Milon, Pontet Canet -- I seem to recall liking all of them.