Wines that taste like Bordeaux

AKR

Wines that taste like Bordeaux

Post by AKR »

Although Bordeaux is my favorite region for fine wine, like most of us, I also keep other wines around. But sometimes I end up with the same flavor profile, just from a different region. Often they can be very competitive in blind tastings vs. the real thing, and almost always they are better value.

Here are some wines that, to me, taste like Bordeaux

Cousino Macul Antiguas Reservas Cabernet Sauvignon - this is a low end Chilean wine, that can age, and is often pretty serious. It's a lot like a red Graves, although some vintages even can taste like Heitz "Marthas" before it got replanted.

Hacienda Monasterio - this is a Ribera del Duero which has gone up a lot in price over the years, reflecting its quality, and that the maker also is the oenologist in charge of Pingus. Sometimes this tastes like a great Pomerol.

Among the California cab producers: Arrowood, Chappellet, Togni, and Dominus all have the restraint that Bordeaux has. They don't have the gooiness that some other estates have. I liken them to something like the 90s bdx, ripe yet balanced. Of those, maybe only Arrowood still offers 'value' as the others all have become very well bid. Maybe if one has been priced out of first growths, the CA equivalents like Dominus are reasonable replacements, and do not seem to have the dysfunctional marketplace that Bordeaux has sclerotically built up over the years.

What wines do you like that offer Bordeaux typicite ?
stefan

Re: Wines that taste like Bordeaux

Post by stefan »

Dominus. Castel & Petit Castel.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I concur on Dominus and Togni. A few older vintages of Ridge Monte Bello I've had were dead ringers for claret. Also Mayacamas cabs. 80's Phelps Insignia.

I had a Montevetrano from Campania rcently that could pass for a semi modern Bordeaux.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Good topic! Back on March 15th I had a 2004 Clarendon Hills Hickinbotham Cabernet Sauvignon that pleasantly surprised me.

A nose of black currant, cassis, cedar and tobacco lead way to a sweet licorice and tobacco driven palate that lingers. This has more in common with a classed growth from Saint Julien than anything else I have tasted from down under, well made indeed. 93 points
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:I concur on Dominus and Togni. A few older vintages of Ridge Monte Bello I've had were dead ringers for claret. Also Mayacamas cabs. 80's Phelps Insignia.

I had a Montevetrano from Campania rcently that could pass for a semi modern Bordeaux.
I've heard good things about Montevetrine too, but have not had one. I'm prowling around Tuscan wines more, trying to find comparable values. Maybe they won't age as well though.

When even off vintage first growths are checking in at $300/btl, I can't undertand the logic. Dominus (to me) is usually going to be better, and maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the price. The first growths have become 'academic' anyways, as I'm not sure I've had any for 6 or 7 years.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Montelena has always been one of my favourites with a more classic style and I think they compete admirably but price a little high.

Caymus, Dunn, and I'd agree with Dominus but right bank. No I don't think Dominus can compete with Petrus as some have said but I typically like it. Problem with Cali cabs is the good ones are also pricing themselves out of my league.

From Spain I'm sold on Mas La Plana. Very old school Bordeaux-like and ages well. Good value and very few bad vintages with lots of back vintage availability. Bought this stuff up through the 90's and early 2000s and never disappointed.

For those who want a liitle foreign adventure Chateau Musar from Lebanon can be impressive again old school. Great wine and great value.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Not really anything new, but my short list would be Dominus, Montelena, Pesquera (the regular and reserva) and Monasterio Ribera del Duero, a few Bolgheri wines like Argentiera, Sapaio Volpolo and Messorio.

Of course, Jim will tell us that Pomerol and St Emilion can occasional taste like Bordeaux! :twisted: :roll: :lol:
AKR

Post by AKR »

Thanks for the suggestions on the Bolgheris. That can be an expensive region too though!

I'd forgotten about Pesquera - I tend to pick up a few bottles in peak vintages. Also Condado de Haza, their sister wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2011 Sassicaia i tried a few weeks back, seemed very traditional Bordeaux to me.

Nic
RDD

Post by RDD »

Viader
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:The 2011 Sassicaia i tried a few weeks back, seemed very traditional Bordeaux to me.

Nic
I heard some decent things about their second wine so picked up a bottle. I guess in world where the first growths are as expensive as they are, qualitative equivalents like Sassicaia don't seem as bad as they used to.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

I had an Emiliana Coyam (Chile) yesterday that was very good, restrained and elegant.