In honor of BWE 2015 convention, a Bordeaux tonight

Nicklasss

In honor of BWE 2015 convention, a Bordeaux tonight

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm leaving Saturday morning, and will be in Bordeaux around noon Sunday.

Tonight is one of the night I can enjoy a good Bordeaux with MC, before the trip. So I opened a wine from my favorite AOC, Saint-Julien.

I had the 2004 Château Branaire Ducru already two times. Last week, I found back a magazine from La Revue du Vin de France, saying that after 10 years, the 2004 are interesting and ready. I don't know if it is the case, but that is the best bottle of that wine. Very nice ruby red color with light red rims. Nice complex nose of creamy blackcurrants, nice oak, spices, minerals, red cherries and light blackberries. Mouth is very classical, with a soil darkberries blacklicorice attack. Creamy fruit and noble wood, tannins on the mid-palate. Final is médium long, with light oaky spices, prunes and old cherries. A very nice wine, convenient and classical. A good prelude to next week. Tn: 90-91. Will hold for another 10 years easily.

Nic
robert goulet

Re: In honor of BWE 2015 convention, a Bordeaux tonight

Post by robert goulet »

Drank this a few years ago....I remember a smooth, soft, elegant wine, nothing overstated
Well done
AKR

Post by AKR »

I only cursorily tasted the 04s, and never picked up any. So thanks for the update. Branaire has made so many great wines over the years.

A great example to show people how being all jacked out in extraction is not needed to make terrific, balanced, ageable wine.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Branaire-Ducru is always a BWE kind of wine.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2002 B-D was really excellent recently. Early maturity, more depth than I was expecting.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Exactly what you wrote Blanquito. That 2004 has more depth than expected.

Nic