TN: 00 La Tour Carnet [Haut Medoc]

AKR

TN: 00 La Tour Carnet [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

00 La Tour Carnet [Haut Medoc] Served cool, over two days. Cellared from release. Double decanted, medium level of sediment. Dark garnet/purple color, mostly clear. No bricking at the edges. A bouquet that is filled with saddle, vanilla, and caramel. Great nose, that keeps enticing one to swirl and sniff. Only 12.5% abv, but feels full bodied and lush. Excellent texture on the palate, maybe they destem the grapes or something, but it has the wonderful feel that a fine Pomerol can offer. Not a typical Medoc flavor set - no earth and forest - but lots of black fruit and density. For my first experience with a LTC (other than a quick slurp at a UGC event) I'm impressed. Although an internationally styled bdx (we had it side by side with a ripe yet traditional 00 Marsau) it is very good. Still quite youthful, and after tasting this, I'd be in no hurry to drink the rest. Well stored bottles ought to make another 10 years no problem. A- is my grade but AFWE types would likely care for it less. Only vintage I ever bought of this estate, and it seems like pricing has risen, to match their quality.
AKR

Re: TN: 00 La Tour Carnet [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

We pulled another bottle of this, to go with a tri tip and beets. This example also got double decanted and a light chill, but wasn't as good as the last one, or maybe my taste buds were off. Or it was a root day or something. But in any case it just wasn't as thrilling as the last bottle. It seemed a shade less rich than I remember.

Perhaps the second half of the bottle will be like the earlier one.

J. liked it though.

PS: on the second night it was a little better, albeit more chewy. The SO downed her glass in a blink though.
AKR

Re: TN: 00 La Tour Carnet [Haut Medoc]

Post by AKR »

I popped open another of these 00 La Tour Carnet, to go with a ham and navy bean soup I made in the InstaPot. Both are a bit too lean.

It'll probably be a bit better tomorrow, but the Medoc got totally smoked by an 01 Vieux Donjon [CNDP] we had the last couple of nights. That wine was a solid easy A, this LTC was maybe a B.

I wonder if my initial impression was just way wrong, or if I'm having bottle variation issues.

PS: The wine was better 24 hours later, gaining some richness/depth. I'd give the back half of the bottle a B+