the second day.

Nicklasss

the second day.

Post by Nicklasss »

on the second day, 5 Chateaux planned + lunch,but at a lower pace, that everyone appreciated.

La Conseillante was our first stop, with Jean-Michel Laporte to do the tour with us. I thought that all the tour was great : explanation in the vineyard (with Cheval Blanc, La Dominique, Petit Village, Vieux Chateau Certan, L'Évangile and Petrus as neighbours), the tour of the very nice modern reception room-winemaking vat room, and the cellar. Of course, quite small vs Médoc properties, but amazing anyway. A good time here as the vat room was so clean and nice, that we got some pictures done, with dstgolf laying down with a double-mag of 2010 Chateau La Conseillante... Wetasted the 2014, still in barrel, and forr me it was tasting better than any 2014 we had in the Médoc the previous day. A very genuine La Conseillante, with flowers, violets, red berries, elegance, low fermenting aromas, fresh, promising and good long tannins on the final. Mr. Laporte tried to convince us to buy La Conseillante (not that we really needed to) because it is affordable vs the neighbours.

Next was Corbin, where we had a very nice and energic visit with the nice Anabelle Cruse-Bardinnet. Mrs Cruse-Bardinnet was very technical, and gave us many insights as exampe how to distinguish merlot from cab franc vine. very traditionnal way of making the wine there, with very old ciment vats. we also discussed with her about the 10 years St-Émilion classification review, and how Corbin has been proted to Grand Cru Classé while all their neighbours lost their Classé status. we tried the 2014-2012-2010 there, and the 2014 and 2010 having nice minerals tones, with very good redberries fruit, but of course the 2010 being richer. for 2012 i thought it was fruitier, with less structure, but very red berries, red cherries jam, to drink in the next 10 years. Mrs. Cruse-Bardinnet is still investing inthe property to improved all the garden and winemaking. A very nice tour there too.

Next we stopped for lunch at restaurant La Terrasse Rouge, on top of Chateau La Dominique. Very nice meal with smoked salmon and magrets salad as appetizers, and chicken with mushroom cream sauce. we had a white as first wine that i did not bother, being too oaky and sweet for me (I like Alsace Riesling and Chablis). we also had the 2007 and 2010 and of course, I don't have to tell you which was the best. The outside terrace is very nice and have a direct view on heval Blanc winemaking building, with it all natural roof (grass and trees on top!).

Next was the stop at Chateau Figeac. Lovely property, same owners since a long time. they started to use M. Michel Rolland as a consultant in 2012, to help them to give recommandations, challenge every quality steps, but at the same time, it is the local team that makes final decision, with the owners. and with their terroir, they will stay faithful to Cabernet Sauvignon. we tried the 2011, made of 33.3 % of each grape. a veryy good 2011, strong blackberries, spices, cinnamon, herbs, some red berries as weell, slightly grainy and candied in mouth. again a wine very genuine to Figeac philosophy.

Next was the visit at Château Canon. This property is owner by Chanel, and they're doing major rénovations there on the estate (garden and buildings). The tour was very nice and one of the highlights is walking in to the tunnels, under the Château. In the past, because St-Émilion and surroundings needed building matériels, they cut a lot of calcaire rocks, creating thèse vast tunnels. When down there, it is one of the best way to understand the soil of the AOC. You can touch, feel and smell the poreous calcaire, that give the character to some St-Émilion. We were able to see vine roots on the ceiling of the tunnels... We tasted the xxxx Château Canon and could taste the strong structure and minerality of the wine.

After, we had some time to spend walking around the St-Émilion town. Entering the first wine store encountered with MichaelP and Nalan, I bought three bottles the 1989 Château Branaire Ducru, the 2005 Château de Fonsalette Cuvée Réservée, and a réal good timing the 1982 Château de Ferrand, where we would have dinner that night. I thought i would bring that 1982 to pour as "mystery wine", as I was guessing the Château would not pour that for us. Most funny, Jennifer, a friend of JimHow, asked me to "trick" the "mystery wine" period, by me telling her what was the wine, that she could impress Jim. So this is what we did...

So we went to Château de Ferrand, an estate that none of us heird about. Two young sommeliers were taking care of us for the tour and dinner. I immediately talked with the responsible to have the 1982 and he really was impressed as the oldest vintage at the chateau was the 1998... But he agreed to play the game. So we did the tour, learning that Château de Ferrand got the "Classé" ranking in the 2012 review, so since then a St-Émilion Grand Cru Classé. The young sommelier was really good and mature, not being impressed at all by the experience amateur tasters we are. Château De Ferrand is owner by the Bich family (yes the owners of the Bic pens) and has not been selling there wines "in future" many years before Latour... We did a tasting training with the young sommelier, and it was fun. The dinner was nice and we played a game to try to say which vintage would go best with service of food. During dinner, we had the 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2011. While all good, their style is a little bit more lighter that we're used too and with lots of redberries character. When my 1982 was served double blind, of course as we did not know this estate before, was tough for everyone to guess. I gave a clue that it was a St-Émilion, very near from where we were, nobody could guesss. Than Jennifer, guessed that it was the 1982, and amny were blown away how ggood she was... it was very fun, and a perfect light delicate 1982 St-Émilion for mystery wine.

The pace on that second day was better than the first, we were tired but less than after tthe long Monday. And all was continuing on day 3.

nic
Nicklasss

Re: the second day.

Post by Nicklasss »

updated