Day 4: Graves and Sauternes-Barsac

Nicklasss

Day 4: Graves and Sauternes-Barsac

Post by Nicklasss »

On Thursday, it was time to go south, in the Graves and Sauternes. Another sunny day that helped us to be accepted everywhere even if sometime a little bit late. But when it is sunny, seems like it is easier as everyones happy.

First stop at La Mission Haut-Brion where Barbara did a great tour of the property with us. There was a little film to start with that was way better than the one at Latour. The spiritual and religious past of La Mission is everywhere, in numerous reliques. The garden was also great. It was interesting that the owner, in the past, gave some part of the vineyard to Les Carmes, to make sure he would accepted in Heaven. This parcels is today the Chateau Les Carmes Haut-Brion. Interesting to know also that La Mission has it own coopers (3 other Chateaux do, Smith Haut-Laffitte, Latour and forgot the last one). We tasted two wines, the 2007 Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion and Haut-Brion. Easy as it is, La Mission was having the better nose (smoke, gravel, blackberries, tar, dark red berries) and Haut-Brion the best mouth (more fruits, dark red berries, blackcurrants, something meaty, minerals). Popped and poured, I thought they were hard to taste, but improve ok in the next 10-15 minutes. More time would have probably been better.

After, we stopped at the restaurant Le Langonais in Langon, where they did a grea tjob in the not so long time we had. With the diversified appetizers and meals we ordered, it was not easy. We could brought our wines there, so I brought a 2005 Chateau de Fonsalette Cuvée Réservée and 2008 Montelena Estate Cab, while MichaelP brought a 1934 Petrus. 2 other wines were ordered from the restaurant listing, 2009 Duluc and a white Graves. Congratulation to the restaurant service!

After was a big moment, Chateau d'Yquem. The Chateau and property is also superbly nice. The responsable woman who did the tour was miming and almost singing while doing the presentation, that I found very lively. All her mimic was fun. We learned that many women in time were involved at Yquem, and the presenter told us it was a reason why it is so great. Hearing that I instantly said what are waiting the other Chateaux from Bordeaux to do so! We tasted there the 2011 that I found marvellous. And incredible complex nose, that is really unique I guess to that Chateau. Peaches, apricots, acacias, honey, vanilla, quince, roasted botritys, confit lemon, XXX. The mouth was just perfect as well, with the right balance between sugar and the other elements. Less botrytis in mouth, but strong apricots, rich dark honey, oak, and all kind of other stuff. ike my brother Alex say often : Yquem is Yquem! And they did not produced the 2012, so that year, they did like the barrels rejected the other years : barrels are sold to be blend in the Sauternes, at no more than 30 percents.

Next was Chateau Coutet. A very nice tour also but the mademoiselle who did the tour wwith us was having limited english. Even if production is not so far from Yquem numbers (7-8 hl per hectare at Yquem, 15-17 hl per hectare at Coutet), Coutet being a Barsac, the wins are lighter. We tasted the 2013, and they we're giving really good quantity. The wine was young, smelling confit lime, light white peaches, apricot, very fruity, and in mouth light flavor of white honey, confit lemon, apricots. More simple than the previous but I really don't know how was 2013 in Sauternes Barsac.

We stopped an hour in the town of Cadillac, as we had to delay our arrival to the next Chateau because they were receiving the President of Singapour with his entourage. There, we found the first terrace to enjoy a glass of Cadillac and unfortunately they did not had some. So replaced with the neighbour town wine, a Loupiac.

A nice day up to now, that would end up at Chateau Smith Haut-Laffitte for our and dinnner. When we arrived, the President of Singapour was still there, but they took the President of BWE with his entourage anyway. Again, we did an excellent tour, and has we saw everythings about winemaking at other properties, spend more time in the cooper and barrel making. Before going to the cooper workshop, Yann the winemaker jooin use and we had 10-15 minutes chat with the Cathiard. It was very cool from their part to stop talking with us a bit. When Jim gave them their gift (a mintjula cup), the Cathhiard were the first that knew what was the Kentucky Derby and has already attend (all other people before did not know too much what it was). What is a bit weird, iis that now Smith Haut-Laffitte is now making a Grand Vin, and two second wines, one mainly made of Merlot and the other mainly made from Cabernet Sauvignon. One named Les Hauts de Smith Haut-Laffitte, the other Le Petit Smith Haut-Laffitte, one mainly for the US market and the other for the European market. Even is the minemaking is quite natural, there is still good amount of oak on the wines so feel a little bit more ripe and lightly rich oaked. But all the wines respect this style and are excellent to extroardinary. We tasted the xxxxxx before dinner, and had the xxxxxxx with dinner. They even added the 100 Parker points 2009 Chateau Smith Haut-Laffitte that was not planned. Again, meal was succulent, so were the wines. During dinner, we discussed a lot with Yann, not knowing how he ate as always busy to answer our questions. Getting out of there, under a perfect night sky, with croissant de lune. An extraordinary moment.
sdr

Re: Day 4: Graves and Sauternes-Barsac

Post by sdr »

Bravo, Nic, I really enjoy reading all your reports.

Stuart
DavidG

Re: Day 4: Graves and Sauternes-Barsac

Post by DavidG »

Excellent report, Nic. Margaux also makes their own barrels. At least they did when we visited in 2005.