BWE France '15: A dream trip of a lifetime.

JimHow

Re: BWE France '15: A dream trip of a lifetime.

Post by JimHow »

Hmm, interesting question, RG.
I honestly can't think of much I would change.
Monday afternoon ended up being a bit crunched, maybe we needed to cut out a property there.
But Alex and crew paced out everything beautifully, we saw all the major regions (except St. Estephe), and the dining arrangements were amazing.
I've dumped on Margaux and Lynch Bages but, seriously, life could be worse than sipping 2004 Margaux and 2007 Lynch on two of the legendary properties of Bordeaux.
I mean, that's really picking nits.
As David and Nic and others have said many times before:
BWE is about the people, not the wines.
I am still in awe at how a couple mouse clicks one Saturday morning 15 years ago has generated so much: So many friendships, memories, laughs, tears.
There were a few times when seeing another cellar of barrels and vats may have been a bit tedious, but it was all a big part of the experience.
I learned so much this past week.
Honestly, to answer your question, I really can't think of anything significant I would have changed.
Alex, Tim and company did an A++ job, creating memories to last a lifetime.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ditto on Jim's comments. Not much to improve on. Yes Monday felt tight and I was skeptical about could everything be accomplished. I think in the end Monday worked out fine with the highlight the future wine of the year du Tertre. What a luncheon location to start out with and I think most were envious of the guy doing laps in the pool. Location was fabulous and wines matched the moment. I was disappointed that Tim hadn't arranged after lunch transport to Latour on the helicopter on the grounds between the pool and main chateau!!

With all of the questions about coopers,oak,toast level etc adding a visit to a cooper would be interesting if they could maybe show the full production and possibly how different oak sources/toast levels etc effect the same wine. Must be someplace like this but I'm only suggesting a personal ideal.

Meals before in Paris,Bordeaux and again in Paris upon the return were available to all and again the planning and attention to detail from start to finish was near perfection. Yes Lynch and Margaux were let downs after being two of the hi lights in 2005. James Grandison not being present and no personal input from J-M Cazes says that it's all about personal relationships and we thank the planning team for their great success in each of their personal contribution in seeking out the connections that made this trip so amazing. Life is not perfect either but this was definitely closer to perfection than most peoples lives!!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I just checked what He said about the 2010 Pichon Baron.
Great minds must think alike, he gave it… drum roll… 97+ points, exactly what I scored, right down to the (+).
He starts his notes with the following statement:
"Administrator Christian Seeley thinks the 2010 is the greatest Pichon Longeuville Baron he has ever made, equalling some of the estate's colossal wines from vintages such as 1989 and 1990."
I have to tell you, Bobby G, you know I'm a fan of your palate, but I've tasted many vintages of Pichon Baron over many years, and I think this may just be the greatest ever.
I don't know much about the sample you tasted, but to me this was the ultimate, quintessential Baron, the ultimate Pauillac.
I'm on record that 2010 is the greatest Bordeaux vintage I have ever tasted, and the 2010 Pichon Baron does nothing to diminish that belief.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks Jim, for the complete report.

I have also summarized the 4 first days, but I won't do day 5 as you did it so well. And your text is more "readable" as english is you're first language.

That Friday was indeed a very great day. The reception and lunch at Pontet Canet is tough to beat. The dinner at Pichon Baron was tremendous. These two Chateaux both surpassed themself to offer their best recent wines and company. Mr. Tesseron was just awesome, a real BWE spirit in that man, we could feel that he was happy to be with us!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I think you have nailed it, Nic.
Alfred Tesseron has that BWE spirit, that BWE mischievousness about him, that is unique.
You need to finish your final installment, though, I want to read your report on the final day.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, I very much enjoyed your narrative and photos that conveyed the great experiences that you and the group had. Sorry I could not be a part of it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks, Jon, you guys were missed, it was a historic week for BWE, on par with the 2001 Chicago convention.
As much as I enjoyed the week, there was a lot of retrospection about friends who have made BWE what it is.
I know you guys were contemplating joining us.
tim

Post by tim »

Thanks, Jim, for such a comprehensive narrative on our visit. It was a pleasure to read.

The only two major things I would probably change about the visits themselves are:

1) I wish the whole group could have experienced Gruaud Larose. We met the winemaker there, and she was absolutely delightful. She is new in the position, and she has such enthusiasm about the wine and the opportunity to create and build on something special. For me, that was one of the best visits we had, and it was an absolute joy. Not to mention the stunning views from the rather ugly iron tower that they built on the property.

2) I wish we had more time at du Tertre. We had requested a quick buffet lunch, knowing the tough schedule we had on Monday, but they really went overboard with the place settings and the wines. The ambiance was simply amazing, and it reminded me a little of Malartic Lagraviere in 2005. We could easily have spent another hour there.

The lunches were sometimes a little difficult because we often felt rushed, as we were having such an enjoyable time at all of them. At Pontet Canet, we set aside 4 hours for the visit and lunch, and yet we still had to cut short at the end (Alfred wanted to serve us some Cognac, but we didn't have time). But I don't think there was any way to change that.