Why does Robert Parker not cover Burgundy?

JimHow

Why does Robert Parker not cover Burgundy?

Post by JimHow »

Nearly two years ago that fellow David S. reviewed the 2005 Burgundy vintage in the Wine Advocate. The reviews were outstanding, some of the best I've seen in the world of wine writing. They provided a spark that eventually led me to purchase heavily in the 2005 Burgundy vintage, and I'm glad I did.

Now the 2006 Burgundy vintage has been hitting the shelves and there has been nary a footnote on this great wine region of the world. Whether you love or hate Burgndy, or fall somewhere in between, nobody can seriously deny the popularity of this region over the years. It seems very strange to me that the Wine Advocate does not provide regular coverage of Burgundy, like it does with other regions like Bordeaux, Australia, Italy, Rhone, California, etc. I was reading on the other site that David S. will be publishing his notes on the 2006 vintage: not in the hard copy newsletter, though, but only on line. Has there been an explanation for this? It seems to me that Parker had some problems with some producers in Burgundy in the past, if I am not mistaken? Can someone refresh my recollection of what that problem was?

If so, isn't it a bit dishonest for him to snub such an important wine region if he is doing so because of personal animosities with the winemakers there?

Just thinking out loud, I don't know the answers to these questions.
Claret

Re: Why does Robert Parker not cover Burgundy?

Post by Claret »

IIRC Parker was sued by Faively, perhaps for stating that a review sample was not consistent with the bottled wine.

Parker is dead wrong about the best that Burgundy had to offer in 1993. Apparently he could not see the potential through the cloak of tannins.
Glenn
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

He seems to give more coverage proportionally to Bordeaux than to any other region. Maybe Burgundy falls more evenly into the other categories he covers, Rhone, Australian, Italy, California, etc. in terms of coverage pages. It would make sense perhaps because he made his name with Bordeaux. I agree though, he pretty much ignored 2004 red Burgs, although giving coverage to the whites, as he did the 2006 whites. If he now ignores the '06 reds, that's pretty disappointing, practically a crime, in fact. An outrage! I'll tell you though, I think this '06 red burg vintage is a plenty servicable little drink. Maybe it's better if nobody cares but us.
-Chasse
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

There actually is a long discussion going on the Squires' forum about the same question. David Schildknecht, the WA author responsible for the Burgundy reviews, has given an answer to the question why the reviews on the 2006 vintage are so late:

"Further 2006 notes are on the way, and I began tasting the 2007s (with Chablis, and a start on the Côte d'Or) there last week. Delays have been due solely to my struggle to get on top of coverage of so many regions. Hence, any ill-will is well-earned and properly directed at me, not anybody else at The Wine Advocate, least of all "the boss."

I'm burning all the midnight oil I can locate in an effort to make all of my coverage more timely. (The June issue will include comprehensive reports on recent vintages in the Languedoc & Roussillon as well as on the 2007 vintage in Germany.)

Burgundy notes are bound to sometimes appear on-line only rather than in print, simply due to the sheer number of wines per grower times 90-100 estates each in white and red, a circumstance similar to that prevailing with German Riesling."

I believe that if one's interested in Burgundy, a subscription to the Burghound is the only wise decision to take. Alan Meadows is the Robert Parker of Burgundy.

regards,

ChrisW
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Gotta give him credit for accepting responsibility, and even more for recommending the competition.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I agree that credit is due for David taking responsibility that he's spread too thin, but I think the recco for Burghound was after the quotation had ended... ;-)
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I think Jim is now competent to rate burgs for WA. You never hear him bitching that there's just too many wines to taste. Isn't it the case that Parker will taste about 300 wines before noon?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tom In DC wrote:the recco for Burghound was after the quotation had ended... ;-)
Oh... oops. :oops:

Well, it was still good advice.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes Hound I'm willing to do the Burgundy volume for Wine advocate, all they have to do is pay my hotel, airfare, and two meals per day.... Jimmy "The Burghound" How
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I think Allen Meadows and I are going to sue you if you don't cease and desist using the "hound" mark.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

Agree absolutely that Allen Meadows is the Robert Parker of burgundy - but with one major difference. I trust Allen Meadows.

More bewilderment at Parker's 08 bordeaux scores and notes (with, of course, the impact on prices for those canny/greedy enough not to release before his report). And when did he start referring to himself in the third person? This is from his note on Cos 08:

'This wine should gain weight, richness, and a few Parker points by the time it is bottled.'

Is he all right?

Richard
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Richard, where do you differ from RP on the '08s?
alchemeus

Post by alchemeus »

Damn! Sure I posted, thought so anyway. Lost.

Guess that is best.
rjsussex

Post by rjsussex »

David - it's not me that differs from RP on the 08s (I haven't tasted them): it's the entire UK wine trade that thinks he's seriously overrrated a vintage that, acccording to Liv-Ex's survey of 230 international fine wine buyers and sellers, is rated as 91/100 (same as they rated 2006) and is assessed by them as closest to 2001 in style. Ronald Barton compares Barton and Langoa 08s to his 01s. Two of the most experienced and respected leaders of UK wine-companies told me bluntly that left-bank 08s are certainly not as good as the 06s.

Parker, as you know, rates 08s as far superior to 01, 02, 03, 04, 06 and in some cases 05. The UK trade is utterly bemused by this assessment.

As far as trusting RP generally, I've learned (at some cost to my wallet) to ignore him completely in relation to the right-bank and have to take into account his preference for over-oaked, over-extracted wines on the left-bank that bear little relation to claret as the word is traditionally understood. I give him serious credit for raising the standards generally in the region that were too low in the 70s and 80s. I've also personally benefited from the sheer market-power he yields (though such power is quite disproportionate): I sold the 03s (that I bought because of him, sap that I was then) for a handsome profit once it became clear to me what sort of wines they were. I recall hearing of a leading left-bank proprietor saying of the 03s that they all thought they'd made not very good wines but realised, once the RP marks were out, how wrong they'd been and how great the wines were (!).

Best

Richard
jal

Post by jal »

rjsussex wrote: I recall hearing of a leading left-bank proprietor saying of the 03s that they all thought they'd made not very good wines but realised, once the RP marks were out, how wrong they'd been and how great the wines were (!)
Hilarious!!
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...