What is on your wish list post Bordeaux 2015?

Comte Flaneur

What is on your wish list post Bordeaux 2015?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

This is a question aimed at the whole wider community taking into account not just what we tried in a Bordeaux but what everyone has tried in recent weeks.

Like most I assume here I am budget constrained but this is my wish list:

Beychevelle 2005
Du Tertre 2012
Leoville Lascases 2012
La Conseillante 2012
Corbin 2012
Rauzan Segla 2012
Pontet Canet 2011
Haut Bailly 2008

I won't be able to snag all of these but in an ideal world...
JimHow

Re: What is on your wish list post Bordeaux 2015?

Post by JimHow »

A case each of 2012 Corbin and du Tertre.
Some 2012 La Lagune.
A couple bottles each of 2012 LLC, 2012 La Conseillante, and 2010 Pichon Baron.
I'll take another look at La Tour Carnet after that excellent bottle we had on Wednesday night.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Du Tertre 2012
R.Segla 2012
Giscours 2012
Larrivet HB 2012
D'issan 2012
Panty Dropper 2010

Though I wasn't there...this is my current wish list
Last edited by robertgoulet on Sun May 31, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Second La Tour Carnet but I think we paid 29 or 39 euros for the bottle at le Petite Commerce Wed night and it sure was good and was an excellent match for the sole. $59.85 here for the 2010 and I think I'll snag a few bottles this week.

Already loaded up on 2012 du Tertre.

I wasn't as enamoured with the Lagune and Corbin like others. Just didn't do it for me/us. I'll be looking for the 2014 Gruaud Larose and will probably pick up some of the 2015 regardless of reviews just to have the first vintage of that lovely new winemaker that gave us the wonderful tour and tasting. I liked her energy and thoughts on PURITY. Completely against Brett and claims the Cordier funk will be history under her watch. Now can anyone remember her name. I've searched the web and she doesn't exist at the moment because she doesn't officially take over the reigns until later this year. I'm happy for Pontet Canet in their recent success but their pricing here is north of $250 so not as hyped even though I love the wines. Luckily I've got a fair supply of multiple vintages in the cellar. If Pichon Baron is at a reasonable price for any vintages 09-14 I'll be buying. They are doing a great job.
Danny
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Tough call. i'll come back with a post about the wines of the 2015 BWE convention in Bordeaux.

I'm probably alone in my camp, but for me, the best red wine tasted during the trip is... an inçredible wine, representing perfectly it AOC... From a great vintage...

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Fonsalette 2005? To be sure that was a great wine...
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ian,

The Fonsalette that Nic treated us to at lunch Thursday at Langonaiss restaurant was a treat but how can we place it in the same boat as Bordeaux. Even the Montelena that he treated us to was very good and one of my favourite Cali Cabs still didn't hold a kettle of fish to the 2009 du Tertre we had at lunch Monday at a 1/3 of the price or the 09 at SHL for dinner, Pichon Baron 2010/Pontet Canet 2009. Those wines not even close to the same level for MY palate.
Danny
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

No you are preaching to the converted Danny, though i really enjoyed the Fonsalette. I was just trying to second guess Nic. Very generous of him to bring those two wines and the 1982 on the Tuesday.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've already bought 6 of the 2012 La Conseillante.
Looks like 6 of the 2012 du Tertre are on the horizon.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nic, we are all in suspense...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

:?:
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Which is a better buy, the 2010 or 2012 du Tertre? Or is it a just a win-wine with either? They remain pretty close in price.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I was wondering the same thing. The 2010 is $5-10 more per bottle locally.

I didn't see any notes from our Bordeaux ambassadors on the 2010 du Tertre. If you look at bordoverview.com, it looks like the 2010 gets a couple of more points than the 2012 from most critics except Parker, who bestowed a single point more on the 2012. FWIW...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Here are some reviews of the 2010 du Tertre...

Jeff Leve - TheWineCellarInsider.com, January 2013
du Tertre is the product of a blend from 70% Cabernet Sauvignon 20% Merlot and 10% Petit Verdot. This is unique for the property as they usually include between 10% and 20% Cabernet Franc. This assemblage created a perfume of tobacco leaf fresh herb and blackberries. This elegant medium/full bodied is filled with sweet cassis ripe tannin floral sensations ending with soft textures and ample freshness in the finish. 93 pts.

Stephen Tanzer's IWC - Stephen Tanzer's IWC, January 2013
89? Points | Stephen Tanzer's IWC - July/August 2013

Bright, dark ruby-red. Rather wild aromas of licorice, pepper, game and sexy lees. Then dense and fresh on the palate, with a suave texture but a slightly medicinal coolness to the peppery blue fruit, black olive, licorice and fresh herb flavors. The animal quality carries through in the mouth. Finishes with a touch of greenness. Showing limited personality today: am I catching this wine at an awkward stage? 89 pts. (A second sample showed more classic Margaux aromas and flavors of blueberry, blackberry, licorice and minerals; a supple texture with a saline complexity; an attractive restrained sweetness; and a persistent finish featuring suave tannins. This bottle merited 90 points.)

Wine Spectator - Wine Spectator, January 2013
A plush and flattering style, with beguiling toast wound around a smoldering core of warm plum confiture, dark cherry and currant fruit, and buried hints of charcoal and espresso. Displays a polished finish overall. A hint of warm paving stone lurks in the background. Best from 2014 through 2026. 92 pts.

James Suckling - jamessuckling.com, January 2013
Lots of blackberries and blueberries on the nose. Full body, with chewy tannins that are polished and ripe. Tar and mushroom undertones on the finish. Excellent Tertre. Try in 2018. 92 pts

Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate, January 2013
Showing better from bottle than from barrel (which makes sense, given that I seemed to be in a minority when judging it from barrel), the 2010 du Tertre has a nice dark plum/garnet color, a slightly more evolved style than most Margaux, hints of cedar, licorice, black olive and black currant fruit with some flowers and subtle smoky wood in the background. Medium to full-bodied, round, generous and ripe, the words “sexy” and “opulent” come to mind when smelling and tasting this beautiful Margaux. Drink it over the next 15 or more years. - 90 pts

Jancis Robinson - Jancis Robinson, January 2013
Blueish purple. Very ripe and concentrated with lots of acidity though perhaps not the absolute freshness of fruit that there is on some other Margaux 2010s. Dramatic wine!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

And the BD says 2010 is the best Bordeaux vintage in his lifetime. I think an investment in 2010 du Tertre is mandatory. As is an investment in the 2012.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't tried it yet but I would think du Tertre + 2010 would = a very nice Margaux with excellent structure and fruit, and when you add in price it would be a definite buy for at least a few bottles. They're making good wine there!