A brief tribute to my dad 1918 - 2015

Gerry M.

A brief tribute to my dad 1918 - 2015

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm not one to share my personal life on the various boards but I felt a need to share my pride and desire to celebrate the life of my father who recently passed away at age 97. While he lived a long life it was a tragic fall and subsequent stroke that claimed him. The doctors had all felt he would easily live beyond 100 but any physical accident can be devastating to an elderly person. He was independent to the very end still living in his home and still able to drive locally.

He was one of the ever dwindling number of the "greatest generation". He was born in 1918 in Cambridge MA and grew up in Medford MA along with 2 brothers and a sister. He graduated from Tufts University in 1941 shortly before entering the US Navy in WWII along with his brothers who also entered the service with one in the Army at Los Alamos NM during A-bomb development and the other in Army Air Corp at Wheeler field in Hawaii. He was stationed about the USS Delta in Halsey's 3rd Fleet and was 100 yards off of the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay to witness the Japanese surrender ending the war. He married my mom during leave in 1944 and they spent the next 67 years together until her passing in 2011. The had 3 boys with the eldest dying tragically at age 5 in 1952. He spent his entire 45 year career with the Canadian National Railroad in sales management and thoroughly enjoyed his retirement pursuing his love of classical music and traveling the world.

He provided a wonderful life for my surviving brother and I and was the single greatest influence on my life. As a child growing up I always viewed him as a strict taskmaster and but later on he introduced me to the game of golf, a passion of mine to this day. It was something we could both share and I relished the rounds we played later in life together with my brother and eventually my own son. He was a man of conviction, faith and principle. One thing I always remember him saying to me growing up into my teenage years when I would complain about my midnight curfew was "I'm your father, not your friend. That's not my job. You have others for that" It took me years to realize and to tell him in the end that he was the best friend I ever had. I only wish I had told him sooner.
JimHow

Re: A brief tribute to my dad 1918 - 2015

Post by JimHow »

A beautiful tribute, Gerry, I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
It sounds like he was an amazing man.
Having lost my father this past winter I can obviously relate to your emotions.
No matter how much we celebrate how rich and long their lives were, it is nonetheless an unbearable pain.
My deepest sympathies are with you and thank you again for sharing your tribute
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wonderful tribute and remembrance Gerry.
My condolences.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Condolences, Gerry. Your tribute to your Dad is touching.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

My condolences Gerry.

Your father live a great life, he seems like an unforgettable man, and even if the lost is hard, you have to continue to remember him and spread around all his great values.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

What a fine eulogy, and a fitting way to mark his life.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Deepest condolences Gerry and a lovely tribute to the man who turned you into a man. I think it is always late in life how we recognize how much our dads really meant to us both as that guiding influence and then our best friends. Some never have the opportunity to come to that realization so consider yourself fortunate.

Danny
Danny
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Thank you to everyone for the warm thoughts, it's much appreciated.

Gerry
Roel

Post by Roel »

"I'm your father, not your friend. That's not my job. You have others for that"
A great quote, nowadays often forgotten by 'modern dads'.
Condolences and thanks for this great write-up.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Gerry, thanks for sharing these insights about your Dad. I know you've had some difficult weeks these past few months, but to hear some of these anecdotes about his life, his contributions to our country, and the legacy he's left is a great way to celebrate his life. Take care.

Michael
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Our condolences too, Gerry. Sounds like a life well lived.