TN: 2012 du Tertre

DavidG

TN: 2012 du Tertre

Post by DavidG »

Well I just couldn't wait to try one of these. Yes, me. The one who's always chiding Jim for opening any good Bordeaux before age 10-15. But after reading all the positive impressions from our Bordeaux explorateurs, I had to try one before it closed down.

Dark purple/black to rim. Cassis, iodine, fresh-cut brush and a creamy/lactic note on the nose. Plus a distinct hit of buttered popcorn (diacetyl?) that I usually associate with buttery chards which recedes but never quite disappears over time. Medium body, lush creamy/velvety mouthfeel, ripe fruit with nice fresh balancing acid, not much tannin, medium finish. Not sure if this is really built for the long haul but I'm notoriously bad at predicting that. Excellent now, I'll happily drink it until (if?) it shuts down, and save a few for the 10-15 year mark and beyond.
JimHow

Re: TN: 2012 du Tertre

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done indeed.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

David,,

Knowing your palate (I think), I wonder if that is a wine to age, or just to drink up while it's fun.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Even if the structure/tannins is medium to soft, all other components are balanced, so I guess this can be aged for 10-15 years with our problems.

Thanks for your saçrifice David.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes it is well-balanced, and I do like them when they develop those tertiary characteristics, so I'll keep a few buried in the cellar.

Curious if my notes are at all similar to what you all experienced at the Chateau, where the bottles have been sheltered from the vicissitudes of travel.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have just acquired 6 bottles, I'll give one a try in the near future.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Inquiring minds want to know, Jim - if you buy less than a full case, do you drink them all in short order (a long weekend, perhaps? :D ) or is that only related to opening a sealed case?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Oh, buying only 6 bottles is definitely problematic, Tom, I'll be lucky if there is even one left in ten years. Must..be…strong.