2008 Domaine de Chevalier rouge

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

2008 Domaine de Chevalier rouge

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Very full-bodied wine that comes across as exceedingly old school at the moment. Black color and I always somehow convince myself that there is a certain acidic, acrid, pine resin substance in the bouquet and in the background flavors. The weight and density on the palate seemingly the only nod to modern winemaking (or is it just very high quality Bordeaux?) because this sucker is bone dry without a hint of fruitiness. Does have that smokey, ember(y) quality I've been informed is a characteristic of Pessac-Leognan. Despite being of that age which is the Bermuda Triangle of Bordeaux I wouldn't call this closed per se but it would seem to need a lot longer in bottle to reach full potential. At least that's my impression this is really old-school material.

For what it's worth Parker said this wine had "lots of purity."
Antoine

Re: 2008 Domaine de Chevalier rouge

Post by Antoine »

Had that one a couple of years ago, loved it ...but thought it was pretty much modern style... go figure... good wine though
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've only had a handful of their rouge's over the years, and generally never got excited by them.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've somehow ended up with a far amount of the 05, 06 and 09 DDC rouge without having had a bottle younger than the 1990, so I am heartened to hear that it may not be a modern-styled wine (as it is reputed to be these days in some circles). But then Antoine makes me wonder all over again. I probably won't find out for years to come, as I will let these sleep.