A note on the 2003 Pontet Canet we had with Alfred Tesseron.

JimHow

A note on the 2003 Pontet Canet we had with Alfred Tesseron.

Post by JimHow »

For me one of the things that got a little lost in the excitement of our visit to Pontet Canet was how well the 2003 PC was performing.
I thought it was drinking beautifully. I was a little nervous, for all the controversy it has engendered since its selection as BWE wine of the year.
Tony really liked it, it was one of his favorite wines of the trip. It showed none of the imbalance, volatility, flabbiness, etc., that some have complained about.
Rather, it seemed to be in a very good place, youthful and fresh but definitely with some nice and appropriate evolution and secondary traits that weren't there a few years ago when I last consumed it. Another 2003 northern Medoc success story, and definitely holding up its reputation as a former BWE Wine of the Year!
robertgoulet

Re: A note on the 2003 Pontet Canet we had with Alfred Tesseron.

Post by robertgoulet »

Good to hear...I was not a huge fan of this wine, but sounds like it's coming into its own...I have 2 more but will wait at least 5 years
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I have to agree with Tony and you. I liked very much the complexity, appeal and character of the 2003 Château Pontet-Canet. Easily still deserve it BWE WOTY status.

Another demonstration how these Northern Médoc AOC, Pauillac and Saint-Estèphe, hit some hights in 2003.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'm with Bobby Goulet.

Loved this wine right after release, but it went into an alcoholic state of suspended animation that it was beginning to hint at emerging from when last tasted about 18 months ago. I've still got 8 in the cellar, and I'll wait another 3-4 years to open the next one.

I've got faith, and no issues with it being a BWE WOTY.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Never any doubt here. The last one I had, maybe the third of a case, about 18 months ago was beginning to realize its potential. Actually reminded me a bit of the 2000 Lynch Bages, Jim.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I never had a doubt about this wine, Hound, even when it was indeed going through a very awkward stage 3-4 years ago. It was just too profound upon release. One thing I noticed during its evolutionary stage was that it improved dramatically with oxygen, even with 24 hours of air. Interestingly, Alfred said he had uncorked his bottles at 11am, only about an hour or two before we drank them. It was smoking, especially with the cuisine.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

As much as the 2003 was showing well the 2005 and more so 2009 were stellar. I thought the 2000 was closer to prime time and there was not disappointment in this 2000 vintage product. Had the 2001 recently and it is entering prime time. No doubt PC is crafting some beautiful wines. My only concern is the first 100% biodynamic vintage was 2012. 2013 vintage is horrible across the board and we won't be able to get a true picture of the true new product under fully biodynamic production going forward. There are more skeptics in Bordeaux about the practice than supporters but I hope things work out. Only time will tell for sure.
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I've been given a hard time over the years as a result of the numerous posts I've made about this wine.
I loved it early and bought a case and a half. I have downed 6 so far and its been an interesting journey.

I have decided I'm not touching any more for several years, as every time I have opened one, it was a completely different performance.
It was always concentrated, powerful and changed with time in the glass but seemed to totally unready to drink.
I can't imagine this wine with be a'point until at least 2023.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Bill Partmann poured us a bottle of this a few months ago. Even without decanting or air it was excellent. Tasted very youthful

Even if the Bordeaux classifications are fixed and it never gets formally promoted, I suspect Pontet Canet prices will only march up relentlessly, and it'll enter the Palmer/LLC/LMHB strata over time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, that is undoubtedly true.
Parker's 100 point ratings for BOTH the 2009 and 2010 PCs were significant.
It'll be interesting to see how Neil Martin likes this wine, especially, as Danny says, as it goes full-blown biodynamic.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Does that mean they will stop sulfiting the wine? That may be kind of tricky to accomplish in real life.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

AKR wrote:Does that mean they will stop sulfiting the wine? That may be kind of tricky to accomplish in real life.
Not necessarily. But it does mean they will feed Bessy 100% organic grain.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

It reminds me of Cabaret. Bienvenue au Chateau Pontet Canet. Zee vines are beautiful, zee dirt is beautiful. Even zee horses are beautiful.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was a pretty interesting presentation but they lost me when they started bringing Saturn and Jupiter into the equation.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Alice Feiring has a half decent book (despite the goofy title) where she discusses biodynamics a fair bit.

The whole cowhorn and moonlight stuff though sounds like something out of a New Age cookbook though.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Me too.

I would have been a little more convinced if they had some Koala bears munching gum leaves and giant pandas gnawing away at bamboo shoots, so long as they didn't throw them on the barbq later, marinated on a skewer.

I always counted myself as a sceptic but when I took a sip of the 2011, I was like Saul on the road to Damascus. I became a Pontet Canet disciple (better late than never). One of the first things I did when I got home was order a case of the 2011.

I was so caught up in the euphoria I didn't make any serious notes on the 2003, but I did have a couple of observations. I thought it was drinking really well and was very fresh and lively, one of the better 2003s I have tasted. I also thought it was outgunned by the other wines on the table. It was over-shadowed by the denser more powerful 2000 and 2005. The 2009 didn't register as profoundly. It would have been great if we had an old fashioned 1996 in the mix. I have cases of the 1996, 2003 and 2009. I also tried the 2001 a few weeks ago and it was exceptional. So getting back to the 2003 I am still a bit confused over when to drink it. My instincts say now and over the next ten years, but that us highly influenced by other 2003s I have tried from neighbouring estates.
tim

Post by tim »

They lost me the moment the tour guide compared some of this stuff to homeopathy, as homeopathy is complete and dangerous bunk.

However, when we got to the winemaker, he made it abundantly clear that his goal is to make incredible wines, and that the biodynamic approach is not a religion. He made it sound that he is willing to go with it as long as it creates amazing wines, but if somehow it fails, he is willing to change. And that restored a lot of my confidence.

The fact is, they are making incredible wines. And the path toward biodynamic has influenced the past generation of Pontet Canet, including the 09 and 10, even though they are not officially biodynamic.

Thus, I'm willing to take the leap as long as the wines remain amazing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Don't confuse association with causation. Just because a wine got better after biodynamie practices were instituted does not mean that all biodynamie precepts are correct. A lot of biodynamie practices can be shown to be healthy for the soil and good for the vines. Others, like root vs. flower days, have no scientific basis and are no more than pseudoreligious fanaticism. The goofy parts may be associated with a good end product, but they didn't cause it. All the other scientifically sound attention to the vineyard that is part and parcel of biodynamie is the likely cause.

Now if you've got the faith, none of what I've written will make sense. I'm about as likely to convince you as I am likely to convince Tom Cruise that Scientology is a fake religion.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

2011 110bucks here....a pass 4 me
Roel

Post by Roel »

The 2003 was made before the cow horn and Jupiter approach and costed like 40 Euro in 04/05. They were in transition to the biodynamic approach at the time and prices were agreeable. I visited in 2006 and Jean Michel told me it was his goal to make wines on the level of Mouton-Rotschild with prices accordingly. Horses in the vineyard, no green harvest, natural temperature controlled fermentation etc. I suspect current prices are not the end station, especialy with a couple of 100 points 'en route'. Glad I still have a couple of 2003's left to remember the old days of reasonable prices and the extreme heat of that particular vintage. Also in my non-airconditioned home at the time.. Thanks for the update on this wine!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

The lowest price on wine searcher reveals $75....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2003 P-C was $44 on release at PJ's (though it didn't stay that cheap for long).
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Thanks for the infos. I have a 12 pack in the cellar and have not touched any yet... Should I start and taste one? Maybe for the next WIMP Bordeaux where I am wait listed?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think it is time to give one a try Antoine.
I have a case plus a 3L, I'll hold off a couple me years, but I thought the one that we had at PC was really starting to strut its stuff.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

As long as they are picking clean fruit, biodynamics should not have any negative effects. How much positive it really has is unknown. What is true about biodynamics is that producers who use it are very mindful and attentive, which goes a long way to getting good fruit.

Wet years are an issue because the treatments are very limited.
jckba

Post by jckba »

After reading through everyone's positive impressions about this wine I decided on popping a btl over the weekend. And I would have to agree that this wine is in a great place at present and does not appear to be on a faster evolutionary track. 93 maybe 94 points in my book and kudos to those of you that were a savvy enough to snag this at futures pricing!