Random italian wine

Nicklasss

Random italian wine

Post by Nicklasss »

With spaghettis/tomato sauce, I picked up randomly an organic italian wine, the 2011 Aglianico del Molise from Di Majo Norante.

Not a bad wine, very italian in style. Color is blood red, with a light spicy, smoky, hot red peppers and red berries nose. In mouth, medium body, with tomato paste, medium concentrated dark red berries, warm red licorice, thyme and something rustic as flavors. Very ripe tanin, Wood, black licorice and game and red berries finish. Very dry. Low acidity. A well made wine, to went well with the tomato and spices of the sauce. Tn: 84-85.

Considering that aglianico is kind of a very rustic italian grape, in the past it was probably producing wine for the masses. With today vine growing and winemaking techniques, that makes a very decent and good wine.

Nic
Tom In DC

Re: Random italian wine

Post by Tom In DC »

Here's a good article on aglianico by Monica Larner from a her pre-Wine Advocate days.

Your Aglianico del Molise from Di Majo Norante is a good example of the more commercial wines made the grape. But don't project it's rustic nature onto all aglianico wines - that would be like judging the potential of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot based on wines from the Midi or California's Central Valley.

Tom
AKR

Re: Random italian wine

Post by AKR »

Nice shout out there for the wines of Feudi di San Gregorio -- I've enjoyed things up and down their lineup.

I notice a bigger spectrum of these Aglianco (and sisters) at our local stores now.