2003 Haut Batailley & 1999 Plince

spikegrhm

2003 Haut Batailley & 1999 Plince

Post by spikegrhm »

No formal notes taken with these two. The 2003 Haut Batailley appeared fully mature with a nod towards the backside of the drinking window. Very grapey nose which meets with flavor profile. Lots of creamy blueberry and cassis with a touch of licorice and mineral. Not terribly complex, yet, quite a happy sipper ! Moderate finish. The 1999 Plince was assumed to be over the hill - this is not a wine that I have found to make old bones. We were quite surprised to find that although the lady was long in the tooth , she did not yet require a wheelchair. Once again , a wine that I would classify as grapey with a touch of dirt. However, no one would call it complex. Still at the end of the night it was a nice easy bottle to go after a meal of fresh southern vegetables. Cheers, Spike
Roel

Re: 2003 Haut Batailley & 1999 Plince

Post by Roel »

Plince surprises sometimes, same counts for Clos René and Mazeyres. Maybe '2nd in rank', but with more than expected longevity. Thanks for the notes, Spike!
AKR

Re: 2003 Haut Batailley & 1999 Plince

Post by AKR »

We've had some 30 year old Plinces which were actually pretty decent.

I seem them locally, at what I think are excessive prices, but people must be buying them since the retailer stocks a variety of vintages.

Never had the 03 h-b ; had many of their offerings during the 90s. Zachys seemed to consistently have that at fair prices, with again a good spectrum of years to choose from.