TN: 95 Soutard [St Emilion] - old school !

AKR

TN: 95 Soutard [St Emilion] - old school !

Post by AKR »

95 Soutard [St Emilion] This is a really old school wine, 12.5% abv, in a brown, embossed (!), slightly non Bordeaux shaped bottle. The owner used to insist on making wines that were made for the long haul, even if that made them tough when young; one example of that doctrine was including stems in the vinification. Not a wine you would find on the shelves of normal wine store; I used to source them from MacArthurs (I seem to remember Mark Wessels cautioning me on them decades ago) or (more rarely for very old vintages) from UK vendors. And for all that effort...I still generally did not enjoy them. They were consumed with the dutifulness that Nordic folks eat their lutefisk every Christmas. Now I realize with the fullness of time it was because I was drinking the wines too young or drinking mature wines from unripe vintages. So eventually I got tired of them, and they were culled from the cellar. But somehow, a 95 survived, and even though it really should have been enjoyed with true enthusiasts, I ended up drinking it with the SO on a Saturday night. Double decanted, with lots of sediment, and enjoyed over two days. What an epiphany -- now I realize what they were trying to achieve. A complex, herbal, spicy, tertiary Cabernet Franc driven nose. Quite a bit of lightening at the edges, with a pale red core. There is some nuestro sabor flavors here too. Then the medium bodied cinnamon palate surprises with a smooth refined, long 30-40 second finish, but well balanced between fruit and brightness, with no roughness. No legs to speak of. Now some band aid on the nose. Better on day 1 but I wouldn't worry about giving it another decade. A terrific example of old school St Emilion. I'd love to see this blind up against something comparable like the 95 Figeac; although its been a long time since I've had the latter I thought this was better, which is high praise. I'm giving this an A-
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 95 Soutard [St Emilion] - old school !

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I think I had the '95 maybe four years ago and had a similar experience. Will try and verify. I couldn't figure out how anyone could not like the wine.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Just the reason why I stopped buying expensive bordeaux....most of my favorite ones were less than $70
Claret

Post by Claret »

I nurtured a bottle of the 89 from release and finally opened it this year. Heat damaged before I owned it and a poor showing.
Glenn
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Couldn't find the note but saw reference to it in a thread about the 1995 Petit Village. To the effect that the few '95 RBs I've had (including the Soutard of course) have showed it to be a fine RB vintage. Pretty sure I have a bottle of the 2000 Soutard somewhere.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'll second the notion that 1995 RB is turning out very well. Just had the L'Eglise Clinet, Angelus, L'Evangile and Gaffeliere on Saturday. All but the Gaffeliere were outstanding. The other three were wonderful and appeared to still be on the upslope of the aging and enjoyment curve, with most of us agreeing it was best to hold them another 5 years before looking in again. All had been purchased as futures or on release and stored properly since.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Hmm. Maybe it's the 1995 and not the 1998 Soutard I've had, in addition to the 2000. Regardless I've liked whichever of the two vintages I've had very much. And for sure all the '95 RBs I've had have been super.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Love seeing this

One of the best right bank wines I have ever tasted is the '98 La Grave a Pomerol...I love these less herald underdogs when they bring their 'A' game
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Saw a bottle of the '06 local for $35....anyone taste this vintage
AKR

Post by AKR »

have not had recent ones, but that price is fair enough for a somewhat differentiated wine.

its not an easy wine to find later on. even on release it used to be kind of scarce.

under new ownership its more prevalent now though
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice note AKR.

Parker probably rated that wine 86, but I believe and trust you more than a lawyer.

Never had a Chateau Soutard, but if i ever buy one, will wait 20 years for it.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey my client who was acquitted today after a tough jury trial would disagree with that statement.
Not sure whether I've ever had this wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're not a lawyer Jim, your an artiste!

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:Nice note AKR.

Parker probably rated that wine 86, but I believe and trust you more than a lawyer.

Never had a Chateau Soutard, but i ever buy one, will wait 20 years for it.

Nic
out of curiosity I just pulled the RP score/TN -- it got an 89+ in 2003 with the suggestion that it was a wine for patient traditionalists. I don't think he was allowed on the estate after some kind of falling out (back in the 80s I think he was more cheery on the wines) so scores and follow ups must have been less thorough. and for a long time, it seemed like MacArthurs was the only easy place to find current releases.

given that we know the biases of professionals here, I view the score as more of an indication of what market pricing should/will be rather than some kind of absolute guarantee of personal enjoyment.