Claim that chateau!

Comte Flaneur

Claim that chateau!

Post by Comte Flaneur »

For each of our BWE 2015 tourists which chateau goes with which tour participant?

Starter for ten:

Stefan - La Lagune - that is, of course, a no-brainer...

Does Jim still have his stars aligned to Lynch-Bages? Or is he going to switch allegiances to that other star fifth Pontet-Canet? Or can Timmy claim that one, having secured the SQN...

MEK went into the tour with a strong conviction on LLC and got confirmation bias on the day even though we arrived late and got slightly cold shouldered...

MEK - LLC

Does Danny get aligned with any of the chateaux where he posed horizontal (and I'm sure naked if he could get away with it...)?

Does Larry get LMHB for helping himself to a second pour before Barbara could whisk the bottles away with Teutonic efficiency?

Does Nic get Chateau Margaux for propositioning our precious pretty young hostess?

Does Howard get Leoville-Poyferre for spotting the machine with 'reverse osmosis' scrubbed out?

Does Alex get Leoville Barton for not being patronised by Lilian Sartorious?

Any other claims or nominations?
JimHow

Re: Claim that chateau!

Post by JimHow »

I was telling Michael P just yesterday, Lynch Bages can go to hell!
I'm switching my allegiance to... Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron!!!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

No mincing words there Jim. I don't know who's in charge of marketing at LB but they must be daft when you look at who's been one of the strongest promoters of their product for 15 yrs convincing the masses and loyal followers on line and off to pump prices beyond reasonable expectations for his beloved 89. No recognition...I was shocked to say the least. Yes there has been a change at the top and I'm not sure that it's for the better. Yes I heard the explanations as to what happened but during the planning phase but I don't think that's the answer. These guys simply have turned their back on their most loyal customers and I certainly will have no interest in Lynch going forward. From my perspective they blew it and have little to no chance to win my loyalty back.

Du Tertre was probably my weak spot. Good product at good price. Greeted us with open arms and won us over. They performed way above expectations on this visit and went out the week following to buy 2 cases 2012. Maybe it has something to do with Dutch owners and how they try to bat above their level as we had a similar experience in 2005 at Malarctic Lagraviere. Again super reception with a personal touch to make us all feel welcome and special. Following that visit I picked up the 2003,04,05,06,08,10 and never had a bottle in my cellar beforehand. Maybe fickle but I say a little good marketing can go a long way.

No question la Conseillante won my heart with their wines but hearing they dumped their winemaker who has brought them into the modern era making great product has left me with a big ???? going forward.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm not being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't mean a hill of beans in this crazy world.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For me, LLC and Conseillante, but Du Tertre could be my fav too.

I guess I'm with MEK for LLC, as Saint-Julien my fav AOC, LLC my fav Château, and while the tour there was short, the tasting of all the 2012 own by Delon were great!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree. We haven't talked a lot about LLC but that was a nice little tour and tasting. I just love that neighborhood, that little bend in the road.
tim

Post by tim »

I am Pontet Canet, beginning to end. Been a fan since before I joined BWE. And they certainly have delivered! Unfortunately, prices are going up, but that is the one Chateau that I am willing to pay a premium for.

Although it was not the only property that I was impressed with during the trip, as was noted by others. But it is certainly the Chateau I claim! :)
tim

Post by tim »

I think Danny is definitely a Gruaud Larose guy. It was an impressive visit, and the new winemaker is just fantastic. And he seemed to connect with it.
tim

Post by tim »

And, by the way, we have 23 chateaux and 18 participants. So everyone can claim someone.

Danielle would definitely need to be matched with a Chateau that included Petit Verdot in the mix...
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Baron I was, Baron I am, and Baron I will always be...
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I wasn't there but put me down for SHL!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You would have been in seventh heaven at SHL, Bobby G, there was a perfect confluence of everything that evening:
A beautiful spring evening with the sun setting out on the lawn; Mr. and Mrs. Cathiard with their generous spirit; the president of Singapore and his motorcade lending gravity to atmosphere; a tour of the unique chateau with its art and cultural exhibits; top vintages of one of the great wines of Bordeaux with a world class dinner preparation.
A perfect night!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Tim,

You are pretty perceptive. Gruaud has always been a favourite even though I have an aversion for most Brett but there's something about how Gruaud puts it together. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of the Chateau going forward with an anti-brett winemaker at the healm.

Danielle certainly loves that little "je ne sais quoi" in her wine that is often attributed to the 1-2% petit verdot! That was funny at SHL for sure. I think her heart however is torn in a number of directions and I think I'll ply her with the cheaper du Tertre option. Pontet Canet she came away enamoured with and was smitten by Pichon Baron. Maybe it was just the moment leaving the purple Baron chateau with the crescent moon rising over the chateau weeping in full embrace with my brother that captured her heart.
Danny
Roel

Post by Roel »

Du Tertre is doing really well and I salute my fellow Dutchman for doing such a great job there.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What is funny is that nobody (yet) want to be Margaux, Latour or La Mission Haut-Brion... or any St-Émilion...

Nic
tim

Post by tim »

LMHB would probably be my second choice....or at least tied with SHL for second. I do love Pessac-Leognan wines!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I would like to lay my marker down on Chateau D'Yquem.

It was the visit I was most looking forward to and it didn't disappoint, plus the historic element of Josephine successfully running the estate for over 50 years despite being slung in jail twice.

Tim has rightly claimed Pontet Canet and nobody would dispute Bill's claim on La Lagune but some of the other estates appear to be double claimed!