2001 Lynch Bages

AlexR

2001 Lynch Bages

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Enjoyed this with Izak Liwar ("Lafleur") visiting from from Copenhagen last night.

I've long been a fan of the 2001s that remind me of the 1979s - what the Bordelais call an "Atlantic vintage", somewhere in between a thin, green one and a big rich one.
I like such wines because they really seem the essence of Bordeaux, which is *not* the Midi or the Rhone Valley.

Anyway, the color was fine and just about right and the nose had a screamingly graphite component. Blind, I would have definitely plumped for Pauillac.
There were nice tertiary overtones, and this seemed a fully-mature, "tertiary" type of Médoc, but lacked somewhat in depth and complexity.

The wine was a little disappointing on the palate, very much in the traditional mold, but lacking in oomph.
I certainly appreciated it, but I think this would have been better sooner, and it inspires me to open my other 2001s soon (am also thinking of the 01 Ducru Beaucaillou tasted at the château on the BWE magical mystery tour).

Best regards,
Alex R.
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2001 Lynch Bages

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Interesting that you found it disappointing Alex.

I have long thought that Lynch-Bages is over-priced and trades too heavily on the glories of its 1980s triumphs.

For example, in the UK the 2001 trades at or above the level of super seconds like the Pichons and Cos which made super wines in that year.

The 2001 Lynch Bages is close to £100 in the UK. If I was a speculator this is an estate I would love to short.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I have had lynch a few times....can't say I am overly impressed by it...just middle of the road stuff for me...as for the '01 vintage, yes I am fan. One of my favorite bordeaux, '01 Bahans haut brion was a gorgeous example of that vintage. ...all the interesting pessac typicity, complex but in a neat package, smoke, gravel, broccoli, truffle, velvety red friut... nothing in your face or overstated. The wine still haunts me from 4-5yrs ago
AKR

Post by AKR »

I mostly bought the Sauternes in 01, but even those are a dwindling supply now at our casita.

Picked up a few of the reds, and in fact pulled a few from storage to try over the short term.

Very impressive tour you lined up AlexR. I read most of the notes posted on this board.

I'm sure some estates have built customer bonds for life.

Always I have been fond of Corbin, and seeing those pictures of the land and the vines, increases that.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

wasn't that impressed with the 01 I had recently (TN posted).