TN: Filhot [Sauternes] 1990 vs. 2001

AKR

TN: Filhot [Sauternes] 1990 vs. 2001

Post by AKR »

Kind of by accident I discovered a 90 Filhot that had snuck into a different bin, in a desperate gambit to survive a few years. It didn't matter to me and the SO and we poured it vs. a 2001 that was already open.

Here is a difference in the coloration, 1990 on left and 2001 on right.

https://goo.gl/photos/3BCf7d7UBJHX2wLi8

90 Filhot [Sauternes] Dark golden, almost orange color, lots of crystals in the bottle/glass, some lightening at the edges. Fairly thick and full bodied for a Filhot. Marmalade and ginger on the nose. This was better younger but is still quite fine now. This is the best vintage of Filhot I can recall, so good, that they made a Creme de Tete, which is the only time they've made it. (That is even better, but mine are all gone, and one hardly ever sees or hears about it anyways) On the palate, its full and long, lasting a good 30 seconds. The wife prefers this to the 2001, as do I. This was an A- wine when it was fresher, but I think its tipping over a bit, and would give it a B+ today. I don't feel bad about not letting it age any further. Heavy and honeyed, like the 1990 style, which I suppose 2003 (as a whole) is shaping into.

01 Filhot [Sauternes] I've commented on this a lot this year, since I'm trying to drink my stash of small format smaller 01s. Its both lighter in color - more of a clear yellow, but no sediment/particulates, nor bricking at the edges. Viscosity is thinner than the 90. More apricots on the nose here, as well as some soapy smells. Lighter bodied, but the finish is still pretty good, probably almost the same as the 90, 25 seconds or so. The concentration here does not match the magnificent depth that the biggest 01's are showing. It's more of a wine to enjoy casually, assuming you like dessert wines, than as a celebratory triomphe, which is probably more the way that American enthusiasts pop open dessert wines - the vintage port at the holidays or whatnot. Still for all that, I enjoyed these greatly over the years. It's now down to a B on my scale.

Both should be enjoyed now, in my view. Although Sauternes certainly keeps magnificently, the positive development for both, having drank them over their lives, is over, and they have started the graceful fade.
stefan

Re: TN: Filhot [Sauternes] 1990 vs. 2001

Post by stefan »

The '90 Creme de Tete now looks similar to the regular '90. For my taste, the Creme de Tete was also better a few years ago than it is now. It is still excellent, though.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Interesting, Arv. Thanks for sharing.

We rarely have 2 Sauternes at the same meal.

Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks AKR. Very Interesting. The n'y time I had the Filhot, I guess it was the 1990, in 2003 in Montréal, at a small BWE offline. But that spécific night, it was second behind 1995 Yquem. And if I remember well, the night before we also had a 1995 Yquem, so a rare thing: 2 times the 1995 Yquem, in two days!

What do you think (or any one else) of the 2003? Time to open or wait a big more?

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nicklasss wrote:Thanks AKR. Very Interesting. The n'y time I had the Filhot, I guess it was the 1990, in 2003 in Montréal, at a small BWE offline. But that spécific night, it was second behind 1995 Yquem. And if I remember well, the night before we also had a 1995 Yquem, so a rare thing: 2 times the 1995 Yquem, in two days!

What do you think (or any one else) of the 2003? Time to open or wait a big more?

Nic
We had an 03 Rieussec a few months ago. It was great. Different style than the bright 01's, but still great.

Been a banner 15-20 years for the sweet wines when you think about it.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Last Filhot I had was the 1935, which was a beautiful, bone-dry experience.
I guess that Filhot still is in the 2nd league in various vintages because no 2nd wine is made. A 'Crème de...' is nice, but that should always be the level of a 1st wine.
OTOH, the lighter style of the property sometimes is a welcome change.