Weekend very quick TN (including 05 bordeaux 98 beaucastel

Nicklasss

Weekend very quick TN (including 05 bordeaux 98 beaucastel

Post by Nicklasss »

This weekend, my brother was visiting, so it was time to open nice wines.

2005 Chateau Brane-Cantenac : A glorious margaux. What a nice wine, great quality of fruit and everything composing that wine. Stay ''traditionnal'' Margaux at the same time. Long life ahead. TN : 93+.

2005 Chateau de Rochemorin : The white Pessac Léognan. The 04 was a bit more fruity but the 05 is really complex and long, for taht price. Superb aromas of bitter orange peels (like in Grand Marnier), vanilla, quality oak, lanolin, flowers and more citrus. In mouth, complex mixture of fruit and minerals. Buy one to try, please. TN : 90-91.

1996 Clos de Vougeot Mongeard-Mugneret : Nice Bourgogne. Nose is super complex and showing evolution : prunes, plums, furs, wet humus earth, cherries and dark berries. Maybe spices too? In mouth, lighter than what expected on the nose, and warm on the final (even with only 13.5 % alcohol). Did I taste some tomatoes plant leaves? Very herbal, add plummy tones and cherries. TN : 88 (but the nose is worth 94).

2005 Chateau Montremblant : St-Émilion. Nice wine. Did 2005 produced unintersting wines in 2005? No. Medium concentration of ripe cranberries, dark red berries and some cadamom. Enjoyable and medium length. TN : 88.

2006 Vouvray Le Haut Lieux Domaine Huet : Dry. What? I want more. With crab. This is SO PURE. Super nice Chenin. Mix of flowers, with delicate fruit and strong mineral. Balanced acidity on the super long finish. Only 30 $ a bottle? And I though the Rochemorin was really good... TN : 92.

1998 Chateau de Beaucastel : As glorious as the one Jim brought at DC. Supercomplex wine, changing so much with 2 hours of air. Improve to a high level. Mix of fruits, spices, licorice, animal, long kirsch and licorice finish. Strong presence in mouth but so balanced at the same time. TN : 95-96.

1996 Chateau Raymond Lafon : nice Sauternes. Not the most concentrated or complex, but strongly botrytized with a long roasted botrytis bitter finish. White flowers and apricots. What a way to finich the weekend. I don't drink enough Sauternes. TN : 91.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Weekend very quick TN (including 05 bordeaux 98 beaucastel

Post by Nicklasss »

By the way, my best wine weekend since a long time (not including BWE events).

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nice wines, Nic!

By chance Lucie and I had a '96 Mongeard-Mugneret on Sunday; it was the Grand Echezeaux, the M-M flagship wine. While certainly good, the nose was not nearly so exciting as on your Vougeot and I was disappointed that the wine was not better. Maybe it just needs time, but my guess is that it will never merit more than 90.

stefan
Claret

Post by Claret »

Nic, I am glad that the Huet was an elevating experience for you. The purity of the Chenin Blanc that they achieve is just so amazing and deep.

I have not opening my 1998 Beuacastel yet. The Coudelet was delicous. My vintage for current drinking is the often overlooked 1994. It is now at peak maturity for my taste.

Occasionally there is a hint of herbal tomato leaf in Oregon Pinot Noir.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have one bottle of the '98 left, nic, I'll be sure to hold it another five years or so to drink it with you.
Rick

Post by Rick »

i went long on 98 Beaucastel so i have a few left including a mag
it is a nice wine ........Beaucastel wines often require 10 yrs to peak

rick
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

'98 Beaucastel is a beauty.
Will it rise to the level of the '89 Rick?
Rick

Post by Rick »

We will need HArry to help us with that
I think it is a completely different wine
wonder if the wine making changed btw 89 and 98 or if it was the weather
rick