TN: 10 Camarsac 'Cuvee Prestige' [Bordeaux Superieur]

AKR

TN: 10 Camarsac 'Cuvee Prestige' [Bordeaux Superieur]

Post by AKR »

10 Camarsac 'Cuvee Prestige' [Bordeaux Superieur] This is a generic Bordeaux I've never heard of, but seems to be made by the Lurton family, so given the price (low!) and Costco endorsement, we drank this today. Pretty flavorful for a low priced but 14% abv wine. Big vanilla oak nose, which could also be its youth. Good palate - red fruits, earth, and more grip than you'd think for an AOC level cuvee. It has the spine to last longer, and at age 5, is still on the upswing. Label states they have been making wine here for 700 years, and that its a (mostly) equal blend of merlot and cabernet. A brown bottle, with a bit of the 'California cant' to it -- it widens out as you go upward. I'm surprised that sensible Bordelais are using gimmick non rack friendly bottles, but the stuff inside here is good. The SO loves it and the bottle is gone by 8 pm. She's a bit tired of all non French wines we've been having. I know some people hate on Costco, but my theory is this: they tend to only carry a few things so if they are only offering one basic Bordeaux AOC, the odds are that it will be in a popular style, and be decent. Like anyone, I've ended up with stuff I didn't like, but on net probably been happier than not. Of course selection is very thin (by the standards of someone who can pop in to K&L and skim their 8000 choices....) IIRC Neil Martin doesn't care for this estate in general in prior years, but I thought it was solid. An easy B for me. One I'd actually buy more of, although I'm sure its long gone from the lottery that is our glorious warehouse #471.
AlexR

Re: TN: 10 Camarsac 'Cuvee Prestige' [Bordeaux Superieur]

Post by AlexR »

This large estate is owned by the Lurton family.

The château is a real castle that can be seen from afar (perched on a hill).
https://www.google.fr/search?q=chateau+ ... CAcQ_AUoAg

The wine has an unsual label too.

It is sold at a very low price in France, and you can find it in Nicolas stores.

In terms of value for money, I think this is a good, reliable wine.

Best,
Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

Is the 'cuvee prestige' just marketing blather, or does that actually mean something i.e. a luxe cuvee or best barrels etc.?

$12 stateside. Pretty darn good for something that tastes like bdx and is good/ripe.
AKR

Post by AKR »

So I was in another store a few days ago -- it would appear that at least in 2010 that the Cuvee Prestige is different than the regular bottling, which seems to have a more neon garish label.

I did not buy/try the 2010 regular bottling I saw.