TNs 2002 Ch. Lafon Rochet, 1989 Ch. Cadet Piola St. Em.

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TNs 2002 Ch. Lafon Rochet, 1989 Ch. Cadet Piola St. Em.

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Having been on the 2002 bandwagon since it first left the station I thought I'd get on the recent train of consumption for a weekend frolic. The Lafon went for a whopping $18 in 2005 (it was either the LR or the Sociando Mallet, the other being $22) and that from Zachy's of all places, which since then never seems competitive price-wise. I do recall it seeming the simplest on release and I think I only signed on for four. As a few of us have noted recently this seems to be a good time to drink these wines. The LR was very tasty with a good dark color, nice cedar over cassis bouquet, and a consistent and, ahem, "pure" flavor profile. The wine is not as big or spirituous as other vintages (actually a bit of a relief) but tastes ripe. No bitter beer face here. Open from the get-go but also seemed to draw out and deepen a bit with air. I did decant this for about an hour and a half. Very good showing. Pity is I may only have one more if I'm correct about just buying four.

Of course the Cadet-Piola is notorious. I just got my hands on these four bottles which I purchased at Wine Bid shortly after arriving in Hawaii. I figured '89 was a good year, Cadet-Piola was a Grand Cru Classe and of course there is the label. My bid was unopposed surprisingly. I wouldn't say this is the perfect wine but I will risk saying this wine has matured perfectly. Color is nice, still a decent dark red but not glossy or dense. The bouquet is quite modest with a hint of mint and some light kung pao chicken. Well-structured still in the mouth, balanced with good acidity and decent sweetness in the fore and mid though bone dry black tea in the aft. Middleweight at most. A very good showing and Kathy thought it was excellent. I wondered what it might have been like young or age 10-15 vice 26 given the debate recently fomented by the BD. I think this got the magic 89 points back in the day but extrapolating backwards I somehow doubt this was ever a forward or gregarious wine and so I think in this case nothing's been lost to age. Besides I have so few mature clarets it's always a treat to have one. Oh yes I'd be remiss without elaborating on the label. It's one of the better ones and not just because the lady is gregarious. It looks like a detail from a tapestry depicting a bacchanalian day out in the countryside. Going to do a little research on its origins. BTW anyone know if this Chateau has been merged with Ch. Soutard?
JimHow

Re: TNs 2002 Ch. Lafon Rochet, 1989 Ch. Cadet Piola St. Em.

Post by JimHow »

I remember that Zachy's 2002 sale, I'll kick myself tip the day I die for not participating. I enjoyed the 2002 Lafon Rochet, as I recall, the 2003 is stellar as well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Nice notes. I don't think I've had a Cadet Piola. I remember hearing about them but the wines were not widely available in my area.

Soutard has had changes recently. We'll see if its for the better.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I bought into the Zachy's sale and it was my last significant Bordeaux purchase. Nice to see such positive note on the wines I bought on board recommendations.
Glenn