Great Weekend With a Few Beauties

dstgolf

Great Weekend With a Few Beauties

Post by dstgolf »

Off this week getting ready for Canada day Tomorrow. Visited my brothers place other side of Toronto this weekend and had a great time between the raindrops but a few good bottles.

2004 Pontet Canet goes with the vintage. Drinking well but not up to most tried recently. Open with cassis,dark fruits and cedar both on the nose and going down. Tannins resolving but present. A very nice wine but should be better in 3-5 yrs. 90pts.

1964 Duhart Milon high shoulder fill and well stored.Had this for younger brothers belated 50th. Forgot bottle at home when I visited last Fall so got everyone together Sunday for a family celebration. Funky on opening with cork soaked throughout and concerned about bottle being dead on arrival. Over 2 hours this went under an incredible metamorphosis. Light cherries with a background of cheesy funk initially. Still showing classic lead pencil,tobacco with fruit still amazingly present. Soft on the palate with tannins fully resolved.
1hr later Soya,dried shitakee mushrooms with cherries fading,tobacco not as strong and lead pencil gone. Soft and full bore tertiary notes with mushroom soya big time and not the most pleasant with some cedar popping through. Another hour and the bottle changed from the soya mushroom to forest floor with soft red fruit emerging from the depths and lovely soft claret still with reasonable life now showing some residual fruit,cedar and leather with tobacco gone. Not the greatest bottle but a very interesting bottle to ponder over and eventually turning into pleasant mature Bordeaux. We all wished we didn't drink this as fast as we did. I would have loved to have seen this over another couple of hours after how it continued to morph into a better and better wine with each successive visit.

2000 Duhart Milon a few days earlier was showing very nice with classic lead pencil/cedar and cherries/cassis with sleak finish. Doing very well now but will continue to improve over the next 5-10 yrs as tannins continue to soften up..
Danny
DavidG

Re: Great Weekend With a Few Beauties

Post by DavidG »

Nice, Danny! Thanks for the report. How long have you been holding on to that '64 Duhart?
dstgolf

Re: Great Weekend With a Few Beauties

Post by dstgolf »

The 64 was bought at auction in 97. Bought for my brothers birth year and it was special for everyone but him. Go figure. A supposed wine lover that knows nothing about Bordeaux. One out of two brothers I guess is not a bad average though :roll:
Danny