Happy Independence Day

tim

Happy Independence Day

Post by tim »

For all those Americans out there, Happy July 4th (all due respect for my UK BWE'ers from whom we affected the separation).

Tonight we are eschewing the French wines in favor of some nice California cabs. On the menu include 2000 Clark Claudon Eternity, 1974 BV Georges de Latour, and 2001 Phelp's Insignia.

Enjoy the festivities!
JimHow

Re: Happy Independence Day

Post by JimHow »

For the first time ever, I went out and bought fireworks.
Quite a collection.
Hopefully we won't burn the place down!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy 4th of July to every BWEers from the USA.

USA is a great neighbour for Canada, and hope our relationship will always be great.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

tim wrote:For all those Americans out there, Happy July 4th (all due respect for my UK BWE'ers from whom we affected the separation).

Tonight we are eschewing the French wines in favor of some nice California cabs. On the menu include 2000 Clark Claudon Eternity, 1974 BV Georges de Latour, and 2001 Phelp's Insignia.

Enjoy the festivities!
Wow those are some of the greatest wines the US has made.

Dang.

The SO has been asking for lighter wines, since its so hot here, so I opened up an old school Rioja last night - the 06 LdH 'Cubillo' - which was light, bright, and coconutty (!). Maybe not the best thing for a tri tip. And in the end, she didn't want any, reverting back to her usual standby, Rodererer Estate.

My neighborhood puts on an inordinately well attended and fun block party, and there were disturbingly large amounts of fireworks detonated. I'm surprised with all the dry grass around here that the fire marshalls have allowed this to continue.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, if you must drink CA cabs, those are the ones to have!

We had a vertical of Ridge Lytton: '96 Lytton Estates and '01, '02, '03, ''05 Lytton Springs. We also drank a Lorimar Red blend and a Copain Rhone blend from Washington. We started with a mag of sparkly from our oldest ally; it was a Phillippe Prie, and followed with a couple of bottles of Chandon's special 4th of July sparkling wine. The whites were '13 Tablas Creek Vermentino and '13 Nigl Gruner Veltliner. The food was classical Texas BBQ fare: brisket, spareribs, and accompanying sides, and of course guacamole and queso.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

No wine last night but we had dinner on the Severn River right across from the Naval Academy and watched the Annapolis fireworks. Will need to compensate tonight.

I too am surprised they allowed fireworks Arv - we were hearing on the news that just about all fireworks displays in CA were on hold. Maybe the authorities didn't know.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some of my neighbors are Chinese and they regard their god given right to fireworks sort of like the ways Texans are about their Colts.

I do not think any fire marshall advisory would have stopped them.

Fortunately there were no calamities, other than some howling dogs.

Stefan - what a disturbingly large amount of wine. I don't know why, but I think we are totally out of Ridge in the house.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Out of Ridge, Arv? What do you drink with BBQ?

As to the amount: Yes, it was quite a lot for Lucie & me, but we had 8 friends and relatives to help. Very little went undrunk.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

A great 4th especially with the start of the tour de france!! ..many bottles of Chapoutier St Joseph will be consummed over the next weeks
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

JimHow wrote:For the first time ever, I went out and bought fireworks.
Quite a collection.
Hopefully we won't burn the place down!
http://www.kctv5.com/story/29477088/man ... z3f7JGUIWu
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

An early frontrunner for the Darwin Awards.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Yeah, if you must drink CA cabs, those are the ones to have!

We had a vertical of Ridge Lytton: '96 Lytton Estates and '01, '02, '03, ''05 Lytton Springs. We also drank a Lorimar Red blend and a Copain Rhone blend from Washington. We started with a mag of sparkly from our oldest ally; it was a Phillippe Prie, and followed with a couple of bottles of Chandon's special 4th of July sparkling wine. The whites were '13 Tablas Creek Vermentino and '13 Nigl Gruner Veltliner. The food was classical Texas BBQ fare: brisket, spareribs, and accompanying sides, and of course guacamole and queso.
Any notes on the Ridge Lytton Springs? I have the 01 and 02 in the cellar. Geyseville is my favorite but Lytton Springs is a close second, an American classic tucked away in one of my favorite corners of California.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Patrick, we did not take notes. The Lytton Springs were very close. Most preferred the '01 to the '02. I had a slight preference for the '02 over the '01. The '05, which had the coldest storage, was the most primary. Be happy if you have any of these wines.