The 2010 Brunello Argiano has been uncorked.

JimHow

The 2010 Brunello Argiano has been uncorked.

Post by JimHow »

This wine has all the stuffing you would expect from Brunello in general, and this property in particular, from the supposedly "iconic" 2010 Brunello vintage. (Is "iconic" bigger than "epic"?) I don't have an enormous amount of experience with Brunello di Montalcino but Argiano has seemed to be a very reliable producer year in and year out for me ever since I first encountered it in NYC over dinner with a couple of rogues by the name of Emil and Paul North (Paul brought it, I can't remember the vintage, probably '97), as we were planning the "epic" and "iconic" NYC '03 convention. This is my first 2010 Brunello. It was very fragrant immediately from the moment the cork was removed. For someone like me who likes tannins so much this is very appealing. Despite the tannins, it is actually quite velvety and the acidity is in perfect place. Can't gauge whether '10 is "iconic" or even "epic" from this one bottle, but I keep coming back to this gorgeous nose which tells me that there is something significant going on here. 14%. Delish! Rating: 93 points.
JCNorthway

Re: The 2010 Brunello Argiano has been uncorked.

Post by JCNorthway »

Based on what I have read and what friends have told me, it may be both iconic and epic. :) I have yet to taste a bottle, but that will change soon.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I also bought this wine but have no intention of drinking a bottle before 2018-2012, and then just to judge how it is aging.

2010 is a monster vintage in Brunello. In a couple of years I will start to drink some of the lesser wines to judge how the wines are developing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2010 Brunello Argiano is a JCNorthway kind of wine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Even I succumbed to the marketing hype that is 2010 Brunello, even though my general feelings about the area is that its all a scam to sell oaked up Chianti to gullible foreigners. Of course the real scam is that I bought them pre arrival from a certain west coast retailer before i grasped the depth of their trubs!

So count me in the double hornswaggled crowd!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Look at the bright side, Arv: if they take overly long to deliver, you can get your money back without paying the restocking fee.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

At $40 this Argiano makes sense, at $60 it does not.
AKR

Post by AKR »

One of our local stores is making a hard push on getting their Bordeaux clientele to buy Brunello in this vintage. There are signs in the Bordeaux section telling people to try BdM.

But its not like wandering over to the Brunello section (which is also bizarrely large, like their bdx section) gets anyone any more value...