TN: 95 Croix du Casse [Pomerol]

AKR

TN: 95 Croix du Casse [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

95 Croix du Casse [Pomerol] This was the first bottle from a case I purchased at auction (I think it was $400/cs before hammer fees?) shortly after release. As my wife noticed -- unusually -- there are no importer labels, nor French tax stamps, on the bottles. So I'm not sure how exactly this made its way into the US. This was stored in an awkward location for years, so despite the various moves we've made, it didn't get accessed til this year. But wow, the wait was worth it. Jean Michel Arcaute was the winemaker here during this era (as well as at Clinet) and some great wines were made in that 1990-2000 era before he died in an accident. I might have the precise dates incorrect there, but in general, the wines were out of the ball park great in that time frame, much more so than the times before or after. The label states 12.5% abv on it which seems almost quaint now, but it feels just right. It's medium bodied, mature at the edges, and shows a complex, captivating nose. We went to a French bakery that does a dinner service (the kind of place that offers linen napkins, but no tablecloth's) and had a platter of charcuterie, a bowl of bisque, a gruyere tarte, and mussels & frites to go with it. A good choice by the SO, since I'd forgotten all about this place. (Les Baux in East Sacramento would be good for a casual offline if anyone wanted to give it a whirl) The 95 CdC's bouquet showed red fruit, smoke, and spice. A great finish, maybe 40 seconds in length, and a fine example of a mature Pomerol to be enjoyed now. Plush texture -- only near the end of dinner did I pick up any tannins at all. The bottle was consumed effortlessly, with a glass sent back to the chef, with the wonderment of "where did that wine go? how did we drink it so fast?" I have a bunch of this, yet still googled it after coming back. Those who are interested can find some at Hart Davis in Chicago (a vendor I love) for $45, which is only a few bucks more than what I paid back in the 90s. Link is below. I'd give it an A-. Served at 60F but no decanting. Great example of why patience is rewarded for Bordeaux enthusiasts.

http://www.hdhwine.com/retail-wine-detail/oto-lot/622
stefan

Re: TN: 95 Croix du Casse [Pomerol]

Post by stefan »

'95 right bank wines are soooo good now.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Pretty sure I have/had this. Somewhere I got my hands on a lone bottle or two. Don't have a specific recollection at the moment but I have been completely and favorably impressed by the '95 right bakers I've had as a group.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

20 years old. Hard to believe.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... sse#p36739

Seems like we had a pretty similar experience with this wine, right down to the seeming rapid consumption.
AKR

Post by AKR »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... sse#p36739

Seems like we had a pretty similar experience with this wine, right down to the seeming rapid consumption.
Wow. More consistency in the bottle (and tasters!) than one would think after 20 years.

Given the general price inflation in the AOC over the last few decades, $45 for this today (from that HDH link above) is a fair deal.
AKR

Post by AKR »

FWIW - HDH has just a few more of the 1995 and the 1998 for $36/per

That is a great price. And if I didn't already have enough, I'd have snagged them.

Both are super
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Recently, the 2000 was in a very good place with that lovely perfumey smell.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had another bottle of this at Jake's in Del Mar, and it was also excellent, an easy A-.

A great nose, wonderful texture, and so pleasing with food, even the seafood I picked.

We had an early morning flight so we ended up sending 1/3 of the bottle to our 'wine curious' server.

I've not had recent efforts like 2010 or 2015, but I doubt they will match the magic that J-M Arcaute infused into the wines of this era.