Deals Thread

jckba

Re: Deals Thread

Post by jckba »

Jim - should you buy now I could take delivery for you as Ben is a member of my Greenwich / Westchester wine group, just putting it out there and before your buying hiatus takes hold ;)
jckba

Post by jckba »

If you have an American Express card, there is an AMEX offer that you can add to your card for $30 off a $150 purchase at Zachys going on right now
AKR

Post by AKR »

WINEX is having a 10% off all in stock inventory today. If you can deal with their awful website, you might find some wines/prices that are ok to fair enough. Examples of sale prices

2015 La Grave a Pomerol $45
2010 LRA 'VIna Ardanza' Selecion Especial $27
2016 Gruaud Larose $71
etc.

https://www.winex.com/product.html?cat= ... rder=price

10 min of poking around their site makes my head spin with how hard it is to navigate. Supposedly discount is applied automatically on checkout. I'm not sure what their current or de facto policy is on Hold & Ship either.
Last edited by AKR on Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
brodway

Post by brodway »

In stock items only. Would have made a few futures purchases was the 10% offered across the board.
Grand Vin Merchants also has a 100 off 1000 sale. I like their Rhone selections and had a few cases of Rhone purchased as futures delivered earlier this year without a glitch
jckba

Post by jckba »

Gary's Wine in NJ is having their annual thank you / customer appreciation sale where everything is marked down and it is worth a look as there is some sharp pricing ...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wine.com has been running a series of codes giving $100 off a $300 purchase.
Current code is WABRCT2. Not valid on items ending in .97.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

More wine.com $100 off $300 purchase codes. I haven’t tested these but believe they are legit.

WKMP24
WKMP25
WKMP26
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow thanks DavidG

can confirm the recent code with a 24 works.

Just ordered some Petit Village, Lafleur Gazin, and a bunch of LRA 'Ardanza'.

Seriously have not ordered a passel of wine online in a long time, more than a year at least

Mostly its just a bottle at a time (with hold & ship or will call) from garagiste, K&L etc.

And local stores. But that Ardanza is sold out at my T-W

Also, I fell for their bait/trap and 'for only $x more get a year of free shipping' ... and am now ensnared in steward ship membership

at least for my zip code, wine.com seems to have a pretty massive stocklist.

is it a front end for a bunch of distributors or something?
brodway

Post by brodway »

When is the Zachy's 20% off Bordeaux sale generally offered?

Seeing a few items i would like to pick up this year. Have not bought anything since around Thanksgiving
jckba

Post by jckba »

Day 2 of Crush’s progressive winter sale ...

https://www.crushwineco.com/features/february-sale.html
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jckba wrote:Day 2 of Crush’s progressive winter sale ...

https://www.crushwineco.com/features/february-sale.html
Some of those are starting to look tempting. Do you know what time of day they reset prices?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Really, David? Nothing tempts me, and I am not in the moratorium.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've never even heard of any of those wines.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ah, Father Stefan, thou art more virtuous than I.
I have looked on a lot of bottles with lust, and committed a violation of the moratorium in my heart many times.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:I've never even heard of any of those wines.
You are a true Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast, JimHow, never straying far from the one true path...

They do have a mag of '86 Cos and a '61 DdC on offer, but that's it from Bordeaux.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I did see an '08 Dal Forno there, but I've gotten it cheaper at Zachy's of all places.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That Dal Forno was one I was lusting after.

Crush prices are usually not very competitive. After a few rounds of daily price drops during their winter progressive sale, some real deals can be found. If you wait too long, though, someone else will snap it up. It's like a game of chicken.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Central Wine Merchants in NJ just emailed out 750’s of the 2005 d’Yquem for $199.99/per.
jal

Post by jal »

jckba wrote:Central Wine Merchants in NJ just emailed out 750’s of the 2005 d’Yquem for $199.99/per.
Thanks JC, I may have bought the last 3 bottles. When (if) I get them, I'll reduce the # of bottles I'm allowed under the moratorium
Best

Jacques
dhp

Post by dhp »

Zachy's has a 20% off coupon WEMISSU20, good for even sale items. Lot of good deals to be had with the coupon, including on 2008 Dom ($128 each on a 3 pack) and 168 eme Krug ($135 each on a 6 pack), since it stacks on sale items. Coupon expires tonight I believe.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Posner at Grapes is going to be running a 24 hour flash sale from Monday March 23rd at noon until Tuesday March 24th at noon where he will be offering 15% off (which is his normal case discount percentage) on all orders of 11 btls or less and 25% off all orders of 12 btls or more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B99UHbUHklJ ... vapemgv3io
AKR

Post by AKR »

Looks like more sales are starting, with offering prices reflecting current economic reality.

I'm not suggesting there are unicorns here to make your eyes pop out, but items like Lanessan at $8, Cambon La Pelouse at $9, de Chambrun $10 etc. all seem like fair deals.

https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Items/S ... E/10537805

Lots of deuxiemes too.

I'm sure there will be tons of offers like this going on for the next year at least, from every merchant, no matter how prideful they are on 'price integrity'.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Ben at CellarRaiders has a new list this morn.

He has a full case of 1995 Canon at $59 per
stefan

Post by stefan »

Arv, is this a good deal?

>>
DRC La Tâche Grand Cru 2016 750ml - $4,359
>>
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Best retail price in the country per Wine-searcher Pro, stefan. Hehehe. Let us know when you're gonna drink it and we'll stop by!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Can you wait til 2040, Tom?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We will both likely be in the great tasting room in the sky by then, I think.
skgolf91

Post by skgolf91 »

A local costco has 2016 Lynch bages for $129.99, 2016 Chateau Leoville-Poyferre for $98.99, 2016 Chateau Figeac for $199.99. Any of these worth buying at those prices?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Those seem like nice prices on all three, skgolf91, buy like the wind!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lynch is $171 in NH.
Figeac consistently in $250 range at Zachy's and MacArthur's.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yeah, I’d be all in on the Lynch Bages at that price, very good deal. The other prices are also very good.
skgolf91

Post by skgolf91 »

Thanks for confirming.. I'll pick up some Lynch Bages.. and maybe a bottle of Figeac since it's on very top of my price range. But I hate to pass up good deals. I found a lot of good deals from this thread previously and slowly building my wine collection. :D
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Just be careful with Costco, their storage leaves a lot to be desired. Bottles upright in the back rooms. I check how long they have had the bottles before I buy from them. Picked up a case of Tour Saint Cristoph 2016 for 27 a bottle. They only had for 5 days.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

skgolf91 wrote:A local costco has 2016 Lynch bages for $129.99, 2016 Chateau Leoville-Poyferre for $98.99, 2016 Chateau Figeac for $199.99. Any of these worth buying at those prices?
Wow! Those are close to futures prices. I paid $125 for Lynch Bages and $200 for Figeac.
AKR

Post by AKR »

CellarRaiders has 1 or 2 each of

95 Canon $59
83 Cantenac Brown $59
03 Latour Haut Brion $55

They had some 90 Gruaud Laroses this week for $50 as well, but I suspect that was a typo, and perhaps what they had were really halves, but in any case, now gone.

Also, K&L has good supplies of the

13 Raymond Lafon $30

It seems to have gotten tarred with the reputation of the dry reds. It's a solid year for the sweet wines though.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

AKR wrote:CellarRaiders has 1 or 2 each of

95 Canon $59
83 Cantenac Brown $59
03 Latour Haut Brion $55

They had some 90 Gruaud Laroses this week for $50 as well, but I suspect that was a typo, and perhaps what they had were really halves, but in any case, now gone.

Also, K&L has good supplies of the

13 Raymond Lafon $30

It seems to have gotten tarred with the reputation of the dry reds. It's a solid year for the sweet wines though.
Just bought 2 of those canon 95's from him. Although my 86 D'issan showed up with seepage. He "never buys or sells wine with seepage", somehow in my two orders with him, have had a seepage bottle in both. To his credit, he said he would refund me if the bottle is bad but still. The 95 canon's look great, will update when i try one
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yikes. Did it look like recent seepage or prior?

I've had older bottles, when I moved them from offsite to onsite, start seeping. The temperature change affects the ullage and eventually there can be leakage from that. The concern with older ones of course is that they were heat affected, and sometimes those stains are a cue to that.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Somebody mentioned "Brentwood" the other day which apparently is Benchmark Wine Group.

They have a couple 1982 Branaire Ducru for ~ $80. Seems impossible.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

AKR wrote:Yikes. Did it look like recent seepage or prior?

I've had older bottles, when I moved them from offsite to onsite, start seeping. The temperature change affects the ullage and eventually there can be leakage from that. The concern with older ones of course is that they were heat affected, and sometimes those stains are a cue to that.
This was definitely older seepage. Honestly, my theory is that he buys seepage occasionally either by accident, or negotiates a discount when purchasing. Then he resells at a lower than usual rate. Both bottles I have purchased from him that have seepage, have been value buys compared to the market. I think he just hopes it won't get noticed or the buyer won't say anything so he can move off inventory.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JoelD wrote:
AKR wrote:Yikes. Did it look like recent seepage or prior?

This was definitely older seepage. Honestly, my theory is that he buys seepage occasionally either by accident, or negotiates a discount when purchasing. Then he resells at a lower than usual rate. Both bottles I have purchased from him that have seepage, have been value buys compared to the market. I think he just hopes it won't get noticed or the buyer won't say anything so he can move off inventory.
I don't think he's doing anything deliberately deceptive. I've bought more than a few bottles from Ben and have not had a bad one yet. One thing I do wish he included was some sort of condition description but I'm sure that would delay getting the inventory updated. I would suggest if the price is noticeably below market or if it's a pricey bottle is to call him or shoot him an e-mail asking for details, He's usually very prompt at responding with whatever info you want.