Deals Thread

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Deals Thread

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Yeah besides some experience with the regime that produced the 2000 I couldn't help noticing it is wedged in between Le Pin, La Conseillante and VCC. The CT scores for this vintage (and there aren't that many) are barbelled in two groups, 91-93 and 76-80. Based on my limited experience with the '95 the 2000 is probably just coming into form now or within the next 5-10 years, and there is also the format to consider as far as that is concerned.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Petit Village is located amongst some elite company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJZeNDXIAA
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

2010 Chateau
Lilian Ladouys
Saint Estèphe

at Garys in NJ for $24.99 with $1pb shipping on six or more. I have not tried it.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I am selling some Vintage Port from 1977-2001 and Dehlinger Syrah and Pinot Noir.

Send PM for the deals.
Glenn
jckba

Post by jckba »

PJ Wine deal:

Yes it’s true. For everyone in New York, Connecticut and Vermont we are offering free shipping on single case orders of $250 (pre tax) or more of wine.

For the rest of the country, don’t worry we’ve got something good for you too! On all single case orders outside the “free zone” (NY, CT, VT) you can go ahead and take $25 off every single case order of $250 or more (pre tax) of wine.

Simple, no? Just use the code PJSHIP when you check out.

So go ahead and get your holiday wine shopping done today and enjoy this deal from now until December 31st, 2015.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Jay Winton wrote:2010 Chateau
Lilian Ladouys
Saint Estèphe

at Garys in NJ for $24.99 with $1pb shipping on six or more. I have not tried it.
seems like a pretty good deal

I tried Googling up Bertellis wines, which a long time ago, used to be a good source for me when I was in NYC

But they don't seem to have a internet site, an oddity in this age.

Anyone doing business with them?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Grand Vin has these two ok deals on Sauternes

2006 Raymond Lafon (750ml) for $25

There doesn't seem to be a rating for this one, but most other 2006 Sauternes are well regarded, and most of the time Raymond Lafon is solid enough.

2007 Carmes de Rieussec (750 ml) for $27

2007 has always been an expensive vintage in Sauternes compared to other years, so that one is more in the context of value within its vintage, rather than in an absolute sense.

K&L has a bunch of 2009 Grand Corbin Manuel (St Emilion) in magnum for $40. Doesn't have a flashy score, but I have generally found that I like wines from this year. And its not a wine that is likely to be brought in anything but the best years. So I nibbled on that one since my s- i-l told me she'd stop in there on Sunday after seeing her hairstylist.

It seems to me that the market for garden variety good French wines has gotten weaker. I'm seeing promotional efforts from merchants who have never resorted to that in my recollection. Maybe its a currency effect.

Perhaps that is worthy of its own separate thread.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Zachys is running their 12 days of Xmas sale

12 DAYS OF DEALS – DAY #10
Up to 47% OFF All In-Stock Brunello! 200+ Selections - 24 Hours Only!! From the 2010 “Vintage of a Lifetime” to The Historic Years of 1990, 1997, 2004, 2006, and 2007!! Single-Vineyard Bottlings, 100 Pointers, Riservas, and Classics. The Value Begins Under $23…

I browsed the list and saw the 2010 Banfi Poggio alle Mura for $49.99 which seemed like quite the deal ...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

For all you Lagrange lovers, I just got an email from The Chicago Wine Company offering 2010 Lagrange for 53.95 - spring arrival. Based on WineSearcher, that may be the best price in the country right now.
AKR

Post by AKR »

There are no published RP reviews on these but these are very low entry points into an expensive appellation, in good vintages for that AOC. Jeff Leve aka Pomerollover has bestowed an "83" to the second wine.

2006 Manoir de Gay [Pomerol] $20 at Winex
2009 de Sales [Pomerol] $20 at TCWC (prearrival)

I'd suspect the 2nd of Le Gay will be more severe than the other.

It doesn't seem like there are many new/younger enthusiasts on this board, but if there are some, quietly lurking, those are reasonable wines to buy and drink today.

For me, its been a dozen years since I've really bought any Napa/Sonoma, and that is very depleted at this point, so that's where my reloading efforts are going, rather than these.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

last bottle has 2010 Rayne Vigneau 375s for $18 shipped with a minimum order of 6. I've bought from them with no issues. This is a flash site so don't hesitate.
AKR

Post by AKR »

For those who like old Le Gay, Flickinger got a bunch of 1975's in various conditions recently.

That was a very strong vintage for them.
AKR

Post by AKR »

2012 Le Dome $40 at B21

http://www.b-21.com/2012-Le-Dome/productinfo/FRLDCF12AE

need to use coupon code ESAVE

typically this is a $70-$100 for most vintages of this St Emilion

Maltus wine. Not seen much

EDIT later: JJB is making a hullabaloo in a Feb 2 email offering the 2008 for $70, stating its the lowest price for any vintage anywhere (obviously not though)
Last edited by AKR on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

B-21 offers free shipping on the 21st of every month.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Gary's January Inventory Reduction Sale is now live online and in our stores. Every 750ml wine in the store is at least 25% off its regular price and many of those are actually discounted 30% or more. There are also rare and collectible large format bottles reduced by 25% or more as well. The time is now to stock up on your favorite wines. No need to worry whether you should buy Wine X or Wine Z, because EVERY wine is on sale! Sale prices are only good through Sunday, January 31st, and all wines are subject to prior sale, so don't wait, because the best selection is NOW!

Go Straight to www.garyswine.com to Browse the Deals
AKR

Post by AKR »

Winex is flogging the 2010 Ferran [Pessac Leognan] for $20 currently.

Other West Coast retailers have/had it for the same price too.

I picked up a sample from a competitor a while ago, but have yet to try it.

It has relatively good critical reviews, esp. when considering its price.

Winex has gotten slightly harder to deal with since the merger IMO for my purchasing patterns, so its not a first option for me.

PS: were there any deals in that Garys sale? I looked through the bdx and didn't see anything that stuck out?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Zachys is out flogging their BDX bin ends

http://wines.zachys.com/search?p=Q&lbc= ... aux&cnt=96

I didn't see any obvious buys but maybe hawkeye's here will identify some

Interestingly, Z is much cheaper for shipping for me than its local competitors.

They are $40/cs to my place and PJ's -- not terribly far from them -- is $60. Weird.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I don't think that Zachys is really in the business of selling Bordeaux anymore as their pricing is utterly atrocious and even in a bin end sale I find items which I've previously bought at retail for less ... I just don't understand it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think they customer base is simply less cost sensitive. If you're a busy Westchester lawyer and don't consume mega quantities of BDX, you probably don't really care all that much if they're off by $10 on a $100 wine. The search costs aren't worth the effort.

If one buys by the case, and is the habit of checking prices for everything, then Z's approach looks consistently off market.

I have gotten more deals than I would think over the last year....but their web site is so irritating that I should impose some search cost for the sheer time involved.

Shipping from them remains a bright point though!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Their website sucks but so does their real time inventory management system as just last week I went to enter a case order for a Perrot Minot burg and was informed that they only had 6 btls left, so I revised my order downwards and went to click buy and then the site brought my order quantity down to 1. While annoyed I went ahead and bought it or so I thought. Several hours later I get an email saying that the item is/was sold out. This is not the first time something like this has happened.

Now not to bash them too hard, several years ago I bought several cases of a Gros Frere et Soeur Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Nuits bottling and about a 1/2 way through them I encountered a horrendously corked bottle. So I emailed them asking if there was anything they could do on something that was now 2 vintages ago and they responded that they could give me store credit. I thought that that was quite a nice thing to extend to me as I am not sure they would have had any recourse with whichever distributor they got this through but here is one exchange where I was happy I made the trip to Scarsdale ;)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've always had A+ service from Zachy's but you are right, there are no big deals to be had anymore in their Bordeaux inventory.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I assume at some point they'll need to lighten up on the 11,12,13's and if people want any of those perhaps the closeout prices will be ok. It has always seemed to me that they were smart about figuring out what to discount. The best vintages/estates don't get that treatment, but all the rest, the wines that are not appreciating in value, seem to get sent to the chopping block eventually.

The real time inventory problems might be related to having a big physical store too.

Even after all these years out west, I've still got lots of Zachys import strips on wines on my shelves.
AKR

Post by AKR »

While puttering about Costco today I saw that they had halves of the 2013 Carmes de Rieussec [Sauternes] $10.39

I picked up one to try, I'm sure it'll be fine. (added later http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... f=4&t=6346)

2013 is a solid vintage for the sweet wines, and the grand vin is consistently fine.

The price is far cheaper than anyone else in the USA for that bottling.

Of course what is in my outpost #471 isn't any guarantee that it will be in yours.

However you can call and ask them to check.

And you can usually shop at Costco **even if you are not a member** if you are shopping for pharmacy or liquor. Depends on the state, but most are that way.

Just tell the person up front if you are doing that. Also if you have a gift card you can also shop without a membership.

(we are exec members, but my city mouse siblings inexplicably are not)
Last edited by AKR on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Crush's two day progressive sale, tune in tomorrow at noon to see what's left and marked down even further!

http://www.crushwineandspirits.com/resu ... 20shopping
jckba

Post by jckba »

2010 Bordeaux sale at MacArthurs going on now, nothing really screams buy me but figured it was worth posting ...

http://www.bassins.com/sale/2016/bordea ... 0_bordeaux
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Some guy died and HDH is selling his wine. Doubt there's much of interest but it's under New Arrivals.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jckba wrote:Crush's two day progressive sale, tune in tomorrow at noon to see what's left and marked down even further!
Thanks for this. I was able to snag a few 1989 Huet Le Haut Lieu Moelleux 1er Trie at $120/750ml. Daughter's birth year and I love Huet. Wouldn't have known about the sale except for your post.
AKR

Post by AKR »

BPW has the 2012 Barde Haut for a decent price -- basically the same as vintages from 15-20 years ago on release. It's widely available online for a couple bucks more, so its not a rarity or anything. Shipping from BPW is cheap $10/cs btw.

2012 Chateau Barde Haut -- $28.99! VM92+, WA90-93, WS90-93

BUY 3 or MORE, price drops to $26.09!!!

Rated 92+ points by Antonio Galloni of Vinous: `The 2012 Barde-Haut is dark, fleshy and voluptuous, with notable depth and resonance from the Merlot. Mocha, bittersweet chocolate, plums and spices all add nuance, but above all else, the 2012 is a wine of spherical texture and intensity. Give it a few years to fully unwind. The blend is 90% Merlot and 10% Cabernet Franc, aged in 300-liter barrels, 80% of them new.`

http://www.bpwine.com/product/offer/944.html

PS: added later - going to a party tonight and pulled a couple 99 Barde Haut's to enjoy there with folks. It's a good wine to share with those who are not geeks, but will enjoy a good bottle.
Last edited by AKR on Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Zachys has posted another of their comical 'sales' on BDX, but a couple of items stuck out as possible values

2010 La Tour St Bonnet [Haut Medoc] $17 90WA
2010 Le Moulin [Pomerol] $53 92WA

http://wines.zachys.com/search?p=Q&lbc= ... n:bordeaux

IIRC they do allow people a few months of free storage, so one can accumulate stuff there prior to shipping.

We had the 2005 of the TsB a while ago, and enjoyed it, and the 2000 of the Le Moulin last year and loved that. The latter is not widely available.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Arv, I quit dealing with Zachys because they try to force you to take shipping early. I want shipping only Dec - Feb.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

HDH has the 2005 Ch. de Sales, Pomerol for $25. I almost went for it. Should be drinking well just now.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Normally I'm reluctant on backfilling, but this seemed interesting.

HDH has the 1983 Cantemerle for $45.

Supposedly its in the same league as Ch. Margaux and Palmer from that year.

I ordered one, and left the rest.

Don't recall ever having it but other 83's from that region have been very nice.

PS: They also have an imperial of it for $400, which might even be a better deal than the regular formats.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

'83 Boyd-Cantenac was stellar maybe 8-10 years ago.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is 1983 the greatest year in Margaux?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

That's a great deal for the 83 Cantemerle, which I found terrific at that big vertical in 2014. Only the 89 bested it.

You guys know I am a big fan of 1983 across Bordeaux, every commune was able to make good wine (though I am not sure if I've had any Graves from that year). That said, these are getting long in the tooth and I only backfill pristine bottles in appearance at least.
AKR

Post by AKR »

K&L got some l'Arrosee in - 2009 for $50 and vintages 2000 and 2010 a shade higher at $60

They have a picture of the new label too on the 2010 offering.

I had not realized it changed.

Seems strange that they did that, given that the estate as a brand was being merged away.

For those who want an anti Parker/Rolland/Derencourt right bank wine there is some 2005 Gombaude Guillot for $60 there as well.

One doesn't see that Pomerol much in the US, despite the uneven efforts of Kermit Lynch.

I've only had it a few times, and its kind of a reverse QPR.

I'm actually much more torn about that G-G, but I'll pass on it.

Just don't need more BDX.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Flickinger has 2010 Meaney at $28.33 if you buy by the case.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

DavidG wrote:Flickinger has 2010 Meaney at $28.33 if you buy by the case.
They also have the 2009 Sociando Mallet for $40, the 2008 Leoville Barton for $77, and the 2010 Cantemerle for $42.

Not that I'm looking or anything.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

That's a mean price.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I checked their site shortly after you posted this and Flickinger seemed to be all out, or perhaps it wasn't being sold through the site and only via email?

Been many many years since I've attempted to buy Meyney, having been underwhelmed by a case of 2000, and an unmemorable bottle or two of 2003, when most other estates in that AOC did very well.

====

Separately, Benchmark had the 05 d'Aiguilhe Querre for $15. I picked up a few in person since I was up in Napa yest, and left a half dozen for anyone else interested.

It's nothing I can point to with data or metrics, but I think the market for "regular" wine has been softening in the last few months.

A few 2013 Napa / Sonoma trophies have gone up in price (who knows if they are really changing hands at those rates) but it seems like other stuff is taking discounts to sell.