Post by Michael-P »

I've had some decent 80 Sauternes.
And some faded.
Yquem is still good.

Michael-P
Chateau Vin

Re: Deals Thread

Post by Chateau Vin »

Kl wines insider advantage has 78 LLC for around 105. Going by BWErs enormous and glowing interest in 78 vintage in other threads, I thought this would be worth mentioning...
jckba

Post by jckba »

I took out the 6 K&L had in stock as 1978 is my birth year and the price was sharp so thanks for pointing it out CV!
AKR

Post by AKR »

We had the 70 LLC recently. Although solid and still alive, realize that their efforts back then were not as great as their 80's and onwards vintages.

On the bright side, if you're a 78, Piedmont should be happy hunting grounds for you. And East Coast folks can easily get stuff from Chambers St Wines in NYC which tends to get lots of older Piedmonts from European cellars.

=======

They sent out an email about this, so not many are left, but for those who would like more 01 Sauternes -- JJ Buckley has the 01 de Malle in 750 ml for $30, on pre arrival. Only 10 left. I remember having it maybe a decade ago. Pretty solid, but recent reports are mixed. Right now, I probably am more inclined to look for other recent vintages/estates since it was an awesome decade. Would like to pick up a little 07, 09, and 05's if I can find adequate deals.

Sauternes enthusiasts may one day look back at the 'naughts' the way the way fans of the dry reds regards the decade of the 80s.
jckba

Post by jckba »

On an JJBuckley E-subscriber special offer - 2000 Climens for $29.94 per 375ml
Best Price on "Superb" Aged First Growth Sauternes - 40% Off & Under $30
AKR

Post by AKR »

Zachy's has Imperials (6L) of 2010 Lillian Ladouys for $300, on sale via an email offer.

Not much of a premium for that over the 750ml x 8 price, depending on what you think that's worth ($25-$30ish).

I thought they made good wines in 1990 and 2003 but have not tried the 2010 yet.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

AKR,

Definitely the 2003 LL was a winner for us going through two cases with only a few left. I`ve got a case each of the 09é10 and popped a bottle of the 10 in July and was impressed. Very good and underpriced for quality in bottle but several years from pure enjoyment. This is a can`t lose purchase at that price though you better have a large Xmass gathering etc around 2025 to get the best out of a 6L bottle.
Danny
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I drank a goodly amount of the 03 Lilian Ladouys back in 2006/7. I found some at PJs cheap, after Houndsong sang its praises on the old BWE.
AKR

Post by AKR »

K&L has the 09 d'Escurac for $14 currently, and they have lots. It has good scores from all the professionals.

I opened a bottle tonite to have with a grilled/roast beef haunch, and its lovely.

Literally ordered six more after testing this. The SO and her friends like it too, although their guess was it that it was a New World wine.

Normally we let things age a bit more, but I wanted to see how this really was.

Way to go, cru bourgeoise!

PS: not wildly different from the 03 Lillian Ladouys at same age.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Doisy Vedrines is a Sauternes of which I would like to drink more. The '96 is fabulous.

In general, '96, '98, and '99 Sauternes are pretty good even if not as deep as '97s. I agree that none match the great string of vintages in the following decade.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My favorite Sauternes vintage is 1986.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

HDH is a great retailer and auction house...They are trustworthy and have been in the business for a long time and great to deal with...One of my acquaintances works for HDH, and I got to tour the whole facility and the warehouse, which was awesome...They store their wine according to text book recommendations...
AKR

Post by AKR »

Yup. Been using HDH (or I think its predecessor firm?) for 15+ years. Love them.

Should have opened up some sweet wines last night, although I suppose all the adults used up their calories allowance on a Claimjumper banana creme pie.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Skimming the Flickinger email from a day or so ago, and some wines still appear to be in stock, according to their website.

Not many bottles, and the verbal descriptions suggest label conditions/capsules account for the prices.

89 Batailley $54
89 Corbin Michotte $30
05 de Francs de Cerisiers $15
03 Poujeaux $25
10 Croix de Taillifer $27

http://www.flickingerwines.com/wineregi ... rdeaux+Red

Corbin Michotte isn't easy to find in the US.

I have not purchased from them before, but friends recommend them.

They have some unusual terms & conditions for ordering from them, so read those prior to committing to anything.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Much has been talked about 2010 cantemerle. I also chimed in and said that ITNOS I would try a split and report. I did try, and will report my 2 cents as soon as I can find some time. But thought that this is a pressing opportunity to buy this puppy if anyone is interested, lest it will be gone...

Grandvinwinemerchants.com out of seattle have it in stock and on sale for 42 bucks. Use the coupon CAN3 at checkout. I do purchase from them and they are reliable...
AKR

Post by AKR »

I don't think I've ever seen a deal like this in recent years.

It's like something out of Premier Cru circa 1999.

2000 Ch. Fourney (St Emilion) $5

I've never heard of the estate, and there are no reviews even on CT.

Maybe that's a typo.

http://www.flickingerwines.com/growers/ChFourney.aspx

Maybe someone in Chicago can grab a few bottles for amusement
AKR

Post by AKR »

Flickinger in Chicago is offering a few 2010 Allee de Cantemerle splits for $9 per
AKR

Post by AKR »

Flickinger is offering the 08 Gloria today for $32.

Never had it, seems to have decent reviews.

There have been a host of random deals on their site the last few days. Might be worth perusing.

Even saw some of the better vintages like 05 or 10 on offer.
AKR

Post by AKR »

JJ Buckley has an imperial of the 78 Croizet Bages for $425

I've had only a few vintages of that estate. Don't know much about it either.

They've also got 375 mls of the 2010 Sociando Mallet for $21, and 750 mls of 2010 Batailley for $49
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
JJ Buckley has an imperial of the 78 Croizet Bages for $425
>>

That is a deal for people who have no taste buds. I'll sell you a 750 of the '45 of the same wine for half that; buyer beware. (Yes; I really do have one.)
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

"Life is too short for Croziet-Bages" -- RMP, Jr. Even our esteemed AlexR agrees here a few years ago.

An imperial is about 7 and 1/2 bottles too many for even the largest party.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I pulled up the scores of Croizet Bages. I had no idea critics hated them so much.

Maybe I confused them with Cordellian Bages, another seldom seen wine.

====

B21 has these on offer, all of whom come with some guy in Maryland's stamp of approval.

08 Les Gravieres $20
10 Rollan de By $20
09 Dalem $20
05 de Fargues $72
10 Lafon Rochet $45

Outside of bdx they have a few attractive Rhones

09 Jasmin Cote Rotie magnum $98
10 Sang des Cailloux 'flouoreto' $23

I've had minor shipping glitches with them, not sure if those are systematic or just random, so I'm not leaping at these (yet) despite what seem like solid values.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AKR wrote:
I've had minor shipping glitches with them, not sure if those are systematic or just random, so I'm not leaping at these (yet) despite what seem like solid values.
Assuming, we are talking about JJ Buckley, I think it could be just random, Arv. I regularly deal with JJ, and I still have almost ten cases of wine sitting in their storage. So far, whenever they shipped, I did not have any glitches.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

B21 offers free shipping on the 21st of each month. I've dealt with them a couple of times with no issues.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Chateau Vin wrote:
AKR wrote:
Assuming, we are talking about JJ Buckley, I think it could be just random, Arv. I regularly deal with JJ, and I still have almost ten cases of wine sitting in their storage. So far, whenever they shipped, I did not have any glitches.
I was referring to B21. I drive down to JJB every now and then. There is a really great Indian restaurant near them that is worth the schlep.
AKR

Post by AKR »

This showed up on my weekly wine alert list, not familiar with the estate, but seems to have a good review and is in a good vintage

05 Moulin Haut Laroque $25 at Calvert Woodley

https://www.calvertwoodley.com/wines/20 ... edium=Feed
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AKR wrote: I was referring to B21. I drive down to JJB every now and then. There is a really great Indian restaurant near them that is worth the schlep.
Arv, by any chance do you remember the name of the place on top of your head?
AKR

Post by AKR »

Garagiste/Rimmerman were offering the 2012 d'Issan for $40. Next lowest US vendor is Grand Vin at $45.

Never had it, and never clicked on the offer so no idea if they still have it, but if you get his emails and care, check your spam folder.
jckba

Post by jckba »

That was a sharp price but that offer from Garagiste sold through.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Seems like the 2012's are getting cut in price quickly.

That makes sense to me, I don't think sitting on these will make anyone more money over time.

2012 Vieille Cure is $20 at Winex (in stock) and at same price at B21 (pre arrival)
AKR

Post by AKR »

Zachys is having a sale on solid cases of a few wines, one that stuck out as good value was 2010 Falesco Montiano $300/cs.

Montiano is like an excellent right bank wine; I've never had a bad vintage going back to the mid 90s.

I'm peeved having bought some for 50% higher a few months ago from them!

There are also Brunello's from non collector vintages going for $240/cs, which I think is probably their true/fair/intrinsic value.

Case lots only, til Sunday.
AKR

Post by AKR »

HDH in Chicago is having a 1 day free shipping deal on 11/27.

Anything purchased today, and shipped via ground sevice on either the 11/30 or 12/7 shipping dates, is shipped for free.

They told me the deal applies to all formats/sizes, and there is no minimum order size either in dollars or number of bottles.

Those terms & conditions are unusually attractive.

Strangely this deal is not mentioned on their website, but if you either call or live chat with them, they will confirm it.

(I checked with Lauren)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I got an email from HDH this morning announcing this.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Sokolin has the 2010 Pichon Baron for $149/btl on their Black Friday specials, while yes it may be expensive it might also be their best wine ever.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Zachys has 20% off all in stock magnums, one wine stood out to me and should be of interest to most of the people on this board that live in the US and that would be magnums of the 2010 Cantemerle @ $88

http://m.zachys.com/productDetails/?productSKU=346820
AKR

Post by AKR »

Pretty good deal -- seems to be gone now.

They have magnums of the 2000 Petit Village for $88 as well, about the same price paid 15 years ago.

Pretty solid wine I would expect. We had a 98 in the spring which was excellent.

=======

Those Pomerols are now gone. The magnums from the Rhone/BDX seem to have gotten picked over fast!
Last edited by AKR on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

AKR wrote:Pretty good deal -- seems to be gone now.

They have magnums of the 2000 Petit Village for $88 as well, about the same price paid 15 years ago.

Pretty solid wine I would expect. We had a 98 in the spring which was excellent.
The '95 is also excellent. I don't see how one can miss on the 2000 at that price.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

AKR wrote:Pretty good deal -- seems to be gone now.

=======

Those Pomerols are now gone. The magnums from the Rhone/BDX seem to have gotten picked over fast!
The Petit Village may be gone from Zachy's but at least one case has been acquired for the BWE commonweal.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Petit Village is an estate that I think ends up doing better than its 'score'

I was poring over some maps of Pomerol yesterday - PV is in a surprisingly favorable location.

As is La Dominique.